The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering what power scope people have on their slug guns and what you think is the best.
i have a 4x on mine but am thinking of going with a 3-9x. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Bought a camo Mossberg 835 with rifled barrel about 15 yrs ago. Put a camo Redfield 1-4x scope on it. Nice looking rig. Then moved out of the SE shotgun area. had no need of it and put it away. Guess I should sell it.

Most of your shots will be around 50 yards, some less. For that, I keep it on 1 or 2 power. If a deer is close, you do not want a higher scope power - you could have difficulty finding the target, especially if he is running.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finley said:
Nikon Slughunter 3x9
I was looking around and this one you suggested had caught my eye. I have some christmas cabela's card money and cash so we are heading to cabela's tomorrow. I will definitly check this one out and see what else they have. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Try the Nikon 4x40 Buckmaster. It really fits the bill for me on my 1100 slug gun. Adequate eye relief ( 3.7) and a wide field of view. I hunt the thick woods of SE Virginia both still hunt and stand hunt and this scope is just about perfect.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I just put a Simmons 3x9 on my Mossberg 500
No need to spend the extra $$$$ on a "shotgun" scope
Don't kick any harder than my 30-30

·
Registered
258 Posts
4cslabs said:
I just put a Simmons 3x9 on my Mossberg 500
No need to spend the extra $$$$ on a "shotgun" scope
Don't kick any harder than my 30-30
I had one of these on my Mossberg 695 and it didn't really hold up too well. Cross hairs kept floating out of zero.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts