The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was small game hunting today (well the 30th, as it's the 31st now), had a squirrel, shot as it and just dawned on me that shotgun reports bother me more on the ears that a hi-power report... any one else notice that? I shot 2 shot out of the 30-06 the second saturday of rifle and neighter shot botherd me... but i took 2 shots from a shotgun today and both bothered me.. and one else have that happened to? Any reasons why it might be like that?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Were you shooting the rifle at deer?
I know when I have a deer in the crosshairs for some reason my rifle has no report/recoil.I dunno..can't explain it

Same thing in archery,if a whitetail is in range,that 72# is nothin'!!!!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I think this might be various stages of "tunnel vision", as it is known in self defense situations,car accidents,etc or as we hunters call it "buck fever". The adrenalin and nervous system being in over drive causes your focus to blot out everything else but what your focused on. It happens with deep concentration also. Wife walks into the room while your intensely watching the 3 stooges on TV "What was that dear did you say something?" I find also the cover and terain affects how much of the gun report you hear. Thick cover muffles the sound more than being in the open hardwoods. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
One of my best friends has spent 2 tours in Iraq. He is combat arms and has been around LOTS of loud noises from firepower. Anyway what gets him the most is when he or anyone else shoots a 17 mach2 or a .22.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts