The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I won a $500 store credit at a gun bash and figured this would be a good time to invest in a new shotgun I've been needing. Wanted to get some recommendations on what I should look at in the $500-$750 range. Looking for an "all purpose" 12 gauge. This might be taboo to some, but will primarily use it for waterfowl and turkey. Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
So I won a $500 store credit at a gun bash and figured this would be a good time to invest in a new shotgun I've been needing. Wanted to get some recommendations on what I should look at in the $500-$750 range. Looking for an "all purpose" 12 gauge. This might be taboo to some, but will primarily use it for waterfowl and turkey. Appreciate the help!
one post with the same question would have been sufficient.

·
Registered
12,059 Posts
Franchi Affinity.

Reactions: Chase.t.duck

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'd select a couple 3" chambering semi-auto's that fit well and felt the most natural handling to you. Then look at the reviews on which is the most reliable. Gas or recoil operated actions can be a deciding factor. I own both benelli recoil and beretta gas don't have a preference. You have to keep any gun relatively clean to operate flawlessly all the time. So the easier to tear down, clean and reassemble is a nice feature. Once you know how to do this you can clean in 5-10 minutes. Get a black gun that's weather proof. It's going to get wet a lot so don't choose wood stock. The bump up to 3.5 inch chamber puts you into the $1500 retail range + exta ammo cost (biggest investment) and the price differential for the extra performance isn't worthwhile to me. I don't take shots beyond 30 yards because that's my effective range as a wing shooter. Most gun/ammo/choke configurations generally outperform 90% of all shooters. If you hit a bird beyond your effective range it's usually unrecoverable unless you have a good dog. Check out used offerings too if they're in good condition. Pattern the gun before going afield and practice on clays as much as you can afford.
Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd select a couple 3" chambering semi-auto's that fit well and felt the most natural handling to you. Then look at the reviews on which is the most reliable. Gas or recoil operated actions can be a deciding factor. I own both benelli recoil and beretta gas don't have a preference. You have to keep any gun relatively clean to operate flawlessly all the time. So the easier to tear down, clean and reassemble is a nice feature. Once you know how to do this you can clean in 5-10 minutes. Get a black gun that's weather proof. It's going to get wet a lot so don't choose wood stock. The bump up to 3.5 inch chamber puts you into the $1500 retail range + exta ammo cost (biggest investment) and the price differential for the extra performance isn't worthwhile to me. I don't take shots beyond 30 yards because that's my effective range as a wing shooter. Most gun/ammo/choke configurations generally outperform 90% of all shooters. If you hit a bird beyond your effective range it's usually unrecoverable unless you have a good dog. Check out used offerings too if they're in good condition. Pattern the gun before going afield and practice on clays as much as you can afford.
Good luck.
Thank you, this is great info! Yes, I am leaning toward something chambered in 3".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Use the store credit and save up for a Benelli Montofeltro

·
Registered
67 Posts
You need a 3.5in gun... Gotta have more power 😂

Truthfully Id go for a Benelli, but the best and you'll never have to buy another again. I own an SBE2 and Super Vinci and looking to buy a 3rd for Upland!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The Franchi Affinity is made by Benelli. It’s a great gun and you should be able to find it in the upper end of your price range. Second choice would be a used Beretta Urika which is gas operated and a softer shooter. Either one in 3”. I’d try to find one in a store and see how it fits you. Either of these come with spacers for some stock adjustments.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Stoeger M3000 is very similar to the Franchi affinity and a few hundred less. Stoeger is owned by Benelli which is owned by Beretta. My wife has a stoeger and I have a Benelli, and the firing recoil system is very similar. (Dif location of recoil spring). Some
people get caught up in the gun “brand” but her Stoeger does everything my Benelli does.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts