The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I won a $500 store credit at a gun bash and figured this would be a good time to invest in a new shotgun I've been needing. Wanted to get some recommendations on what I should look at in the $500-$750 range. Looking for an "all purpose" 12 gauge, but will primarily use it for waterfowl and turkey. Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
In that price range I think you're in pump gun territory. Browning BPS would be my pick. Benelli Nova a close 2nd. Although if you double the budget (or a bit more) you're in good quality auto land. In that case, Benelli M2 or Beretta A400 Extreme.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Look into the Winchester Model 1300 12 guage with a 22 " barrel. It makes a good turkey gun. And put a shot gun scope on it as well. It is a nice shotgun.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Personally, if I was starting with a $500 credit, I'd be a little more inclined to dig deeper into my own pocket and get something nicer than a budget pump.

The upper end of your budget will get you close to a Winchester SX4, which will likely be my next shotgun purchase. The aforementioned pumps would be a solid option, but the gas-operated semi-auto guns will be easier on your shoulder, without the sound of the pump rattling against the magazine tube with every step you take.

If you do like the idea of a pump, I've heard plenty of good things about the Benelli Novas.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The benelli nova/supernova is ugly but a very reliable and well made gun. The safety forward of the trigger was the only issue I had.

·
Registered
522 Posts
$750 will get you a black Franchi Affinity 3. Might have to kick in a bit more if you want camo. Same technology as a Benelli. Very reliable quick handling shotgun.

I have a 20g for upland and a dedicated 20g for turkey. They handle exactly like my more expensive Benelli SBE duck gun.

I recommend the Franchi to everyone. They are a good value.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My daughter and her fiancé bought a Winchester SX4 2 years ago and it’s been a good shooting and reliable gun. They’ve ran quite a few light rounds out of it shooting sporting clays and 2 3/4 1 ounce and 1 1/8 ounce rounds have not had any cycling issues.(over 1000, but not sure exactly) I got them an Indian Creek Turkey choke and it patterned well for turkeys. They’re just above your price range, in the $800 mark. They come with spacers and shims if you need them to set it up for you.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Right at or around your $500, I would go with a Remington 870. If you can save for a little, the $1000 range gets you into the semi autos mentioned above, which would be alot nicer for waterfowl. If you stay in the 3” Guns, vs the 3.5” guns, you’ll save some $ as well. Wood, black, or camo is another way to say some $, although I prefer synthetic for waterfowl.

·
Super Moderator
13,997 Posts
If you want a quality shotgun and stick close to your winnings don't hesitate to look into preloved shotguns (Used). If the barrel is in good shape no pitting, bulges, rust etc. and the action is still smooth you should be able to find a quality shotgun that will last you for a life time. After the first season it will be used anyway......More bang for your buck..(rather duck & turkey..)

If you are hunting from a boat I would ver away from wood stocks, also since you are after waterfowl I would recommend a semi to eliminating the extra action movement also some pumps tend to rattle in the turkey woods.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Idk if they are still available with remington being sold etc etc but i have a v3 sport camo that i use for duck hunting and pheasants occasionally and i think its a fantastic shotgun. Its never jammed on me and ive beat the crap out of it. I think the port system that remington came up with was ingenious! I paid under $800 when i bought it three yeara ago, if you can find one i wouldn’t hesitate. Its super soft shooting! Only problem is whoever sits to your right wont be happy when you shoot because it ejects the shells with serious authority.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
A few years ago I picked up a 12 ga Benelli Montifeltro for $799. They are usually $900 - 1000. I also have that gun in a 20 ga. IMO they are the best shotguns around. They are light and don't have the high raised vented rib. The 20 ga is my favorite all around gun.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Check out a CZ USA 612 Field. With TSS shot, not sure you need 3.5" mag. Lots of nice pump guns out there these days. Tend to be more reliable and lighter than a semi in my experience.

·
Registered
90 Posts
In the $500 range, I would say get an 870 or 835 and a few boxes of shells or chokes. Like one was said, Winchester’s sx4 is my favorite I have ever had, but a hair more than $500. But my brother also has a used $200 Charles Daly semi that has preformed perfectly since day 1. $500 of free gun though is nothing to complain about! Find what fits you, be it a $200 or $2,000 gun and go for it

·
Registered
195 Posts
Congrats on the winnings.
Handle several in your price range and get what fits the best. Your eye is the rear sight with a shotgun, and if you are not looking straight down the barrel when you pick up and shoulder the gun it will be very difficult to hit anything flying.
Agreed with some mentioned above on the Franchi Affinity and the Benelli Nova. Super Nova comes with shims and you can "fit" the stock to your body. Also I'd recommend the BPS as a solid well build pump in that price range.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Agreed with the Franchi Affinity, tremendous value. Picked one up 3 years ago and couldn’t be happier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If your looking for a decent shotgun that has good value overall I would suggest the Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon for pheasant hunting. If your looking for a versatile shotgun you can never go wrong with a budget friendly Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. I still favor the silver pigeon

1 - 20 of 22 Posts