The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is the small game forum but since it involves shotgunning I assume it is an acceptable topic. I dont see a general discussion or shooting forum either.
Anyway, I am wanting to build a patterning board and plan on using a 4x4 piece of aluminum for the face. I have used paper and cardboard in the past but want to make a more permanent setup to use more frequently.
Have any of you built one or used one in this style? I priced the aluminum today and was much more expensive than I anticipated. I was planning on using 1/8" or 3/16" sheet.
Any experience on this? Could I possibly use 1/16" even. I would like to use up to N0.6 lead shot at distances from 25 to 40 yds. Ricochet is also a concern to me.
This is not something I thought up in case you havent heard of using aluminum. I know some gun clubs use this type of board and have read of it other places. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on using white spray paint to paint the face and then to touch up between shots. I suppose steel may be less expensive and I have heard of that being used also. I am looking for the thinnest plate that will be durable. I am also looking for someone who has used one of these at a local club who would know how much of a concern ricochet would be. I will be using no larger than No.6 lead.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
An old road sign would work really good.....some of the 4x4 ones are aluminum others are steel.....

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Use a pallet and go to Lowes and get yourself a role of the carpenters paper. It's brown paper bag colored and comes in a huge roll, wrapped like gift wrapping paper. Just staple a clean sheet of paper on in between shots. That pallet will take quite a beating and will def be cheaper than metal and cans of spray paint.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I will give the paper a try. I have done it that way in the past but I shoot quite a bit to get averages and try different loads so I will end up using alot of paper.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
You can usually find 3/16 steel plate for free or cheap. We had a piece given to us and I mounted it on a pressure treated 4x4 frame. We use grease to coat the face to see patterns. Grease will last longer and is actually easier to use than paint. No ricochet problem as long as the steel if fixed flat and isn't concave.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Use a peice of steel and between shots you use metal roof paint. It is a grey/silver shiny paint. That the setup used where we shoot trap. It will last forever. The Metal roof paint is tick so it covers the dents and shows the pattern from the next shot really well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts