The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What shotgun load are you Chester County Predator hunters using beings buckshot is not permitted in the special regs areas?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Can't use buckshot anywhere for predators according to the digest. Under furtakers and firearms it states no larger than #4 shot in a shotgun

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wald Jager said:
Can't use buckshot anywhere for predators according to the digest. Under furtakers and firearms it states no larger than #4 shot in a shotgun
You can use buckshot in the non special regs areas but it can not be bigger then #4 buck.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
§ 141.67. Furbearer hunting.

It is unlawful to take furbearers using shot larger than #4 buckshot.
Authority
The provisions of this § 141.67 issued under the Game and Wildlife Code, 34 Pa.C.S. § 2102(a) and (d).
Source
The provisions of this § 141.67 adopted December 2, 2005, effective December 3, 2005, 35 Pa.B. 6537.

We use BBB, BB and regular old turkey loads with gray success too.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Number 4 buck works. However if you reload you can buy T and F and TT, in lead. F can be had in nickel plated from ballistic products. Stay away from steel shot as it does not retain energy as well. Also any of the shot that is more dense than lead is good in the right sizes. Killed quite a few fox with lead T out of a ten guage. I believe its about 93 pellets in a 2.5 oz load. Before that a three inch 12 with nickel number four buck, (factory remingtons) worked well but, I don't think they make the factory nickel any more. Your choice may be determined by what patterns best out of your gun.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always used #4 buck in the whole state but it appears they changed the law in the special reg areas like 5C. It says in the special reg area under furbearers buckshot is not permitted.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Special Regulations Areas
Small Game, Furbearers & Crows, Arms & Ammunition
Manually operated or semi-automatic shotguns plugged to a
3-shell capacity; manually operated 22-caliber or less rimfire rifles and handguns; and bows and crossbows. Buckshot is not permitted.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I wonder what they all sizes they consider to be buckshot? F,TT, T, BBB, and might work but may be buckshot. I thought anything above bb would be buckshot, but my supply catalog lists buckshot sizes between #1 all the way to .500 as buckshot. Poorly written law, as different people may have different views on what size is buckshot. From what I have read, in PA anything above BB is considered buckshot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.