The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the township I live on the boarder of has a rule no one shall fire any single projectile weapon so the 17hmr and 22 are out of question. I was wondering how bad will a shotgun mess up the pelt if using buckshot or steel shot when trapping?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trappin4reds2010 said:
Shouldn't be too bad.. I'd use 00 buckshot and a 12 gauge at first and see what happens... Good luck!
Would a high express lead load work or no I think buck shot might be alittle to much.

·
Registered
339 Posts
When trapping?? As in to dispatch a trapped animal? I'd recommend finding a tree and cutting a branch. If you can't do that, I'm sure the local hardware stores sell axe handles. If you can't do that, I'm sure your local sporting goods store sells some cheap baseball equipment. Catch my drift? You might still want to carry the shotgun for a skunk though...and then hope that the pellets don't damage the trap. A buyer will pay less for an animal with holes

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I would just use a 22. As long as you're lawfully hunting/trapping the township law doesn't apply.
The state sets game law not townships. Just make sure you don't discharge your firearm in a safety zone. Although some local cops might still hassle you even if you are in the right.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
3.5 inch 000 buckshot is the only way I dispatch my trapped possums.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
I agree with the .22 and the Northampton v Duff case but if I were to use a shotgun, I'd use 4 shot lead and stand back about 25 yards and aim for the head.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
THe township cannot stop you from using a weapon the PHC says is legal. I recommend you tell them to have their soliciter look up Duff V Northampton.

·
Registered
679 Posts
bdemutis said:
trappin4reds2010 said:
Shouldn't be too bad.. I'd use 00 buckshot and a 12 gauge at first and see what happens... Good luck!
Would a high express lead load work or no I think buck shot might be alittle to much.
Nah. I don't think a high express lead load would work. You better stick with the buckshot.... 3.5 inch loads if you can get em...

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Copper plated buffered magnums (ie, turkey loads) from a reasonable distance will kill them dead.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
bdemutis said:
So the township I live on the boarder of has a rule no one shall fire any single projectile weapon so the 17hmr and 22 are out of question. I was wondering how bad will a shotgun mess up the pelt if using buckshot or steel shot when trapping?
Some of these guys are messing with you and some of them are missing the point.

Bottom line, a shotgun is a really bad choice for a dispatch weapon.

novahunter said:
From the Hunting Laws and Regulations Forum http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=328441#Post328441 Northampton v Duff (hunting within towns)
John S said:
THe township cannot stop you from using a weapon the PHC says is legal. I recommend you tell them to have their soliciter look up Duff V Northampton.
These two posters gave you the best answers you're going to get...use your .22.

·
Registered
536 Posts
What in the sam hill do they think any gun is for that matter. You wrote single projectile weapon not centerfire weapon or any other variation. If it's singl;e projectile heck you can't even use a bow...

I defer to John S and the others with their much more useful insight on this. I'm just pointing out that projectile statement makes no sense at all.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My favorite is a .22 short... Maybe you can try the .22 snake shot rounds. I never used them but at point blank they prob. work just fine.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You could also get a 330 bodygrip. Just rig it up on a short pole and slip it over the head.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts