The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help please. My grandfather gave me a Remington 870 12 gauge shotgun with a scope. The shotgun barrel is rifled. Can I shoot Remington Slugger rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel?????? The box says "Slugger rifled slugs are designed for optimal performance in smooth bore barrels". It doesn't say you can't use them in rifled slug barrels. Any experience in this department? Help. Thanks in advance. Triple B

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Sabot slugs are suited for rifled barrels. The slugger slugs can be fired from a rifled barrel but they will build up lead in the grooves very quickly.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks like I have my answer. Thank you gentlemen. Now I might have to fight the crowd tomorrow to get them.

·
Registered
10,445 Posts
A few days ago I sighted in an 870 with a rifled barrel for a friend. All he had were Sluggers. At 50 yards the Slugger groups were 2 to 3 inches. Nothing to brag about.

At 100 yards they were 12 inches and up.......some rounds were not even on paper.

We went back to 50 yards and back to 2 to 3 inch groups. At least they were consistant.

He went shopping for sabots the next day.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Dogface said:
A few days ago I sighted in an 870 with a rifled barrel for a friend. All he had were Sluggers. At 50 yards the Slugger groups were 2 to 3 inches. Nothing to brag about.

At 100 yards they were 12 inches and up.......some rounds were not even on paper.
It will get worse as the rifling in the barrel gets more and more fouled.

Steve

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
DO NOT shoot rifled slugs in a fully rifled barrel. I learned that lesson years ago. The lead fills the grooves and is a_______ to get out. Stick with sabot slugs. They are more accurate too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts