The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my grandfather surpirsed me with an 870 express for christmas and i plan on using it for whats left of our deer season. i have regular rifled slugs, but i was looking on remingtons website and it says they have rifled choke tubes. does that mean that i can shoot the sabot slugs out of the smooth bore barrel with the rifled choke, or does it just add accuracy to the rifled slugs i would already have? I dont know alot about shotguns really, im more of a rifle guy. thanks

·
Registered
746 Posts
Not 100% but I believe you should shoot sabots from the rifled tube.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yes, you should use sabot slugs with a rifled choke. You can rifled slugs out of almost any choke except maybe a super full. Most guys use improved but experiment to sed what groups best.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i have an 870 supermag 12 gauge and did not get good groups with the rifled choke. mine is a 23" turkey gun. i found the best accuracy was with a plain old modifed choke and foster type rifled slugs. 2" groups at 50 yards with gobble dot sites.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Remington makes TWO rifled choke tubes. One is a "Special Sabot" tube designed to shoot sabot slugs out of a otherwise smooth bore. It is an extended choke. The other rifled tube is flush mounted and designed to shoot the old foster type slugs. They both work as designed.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have an 870 with an extended rifled choke shoots federal tru ball, brenneke and cheap Remington sluggers good enough to harvest many Delaware deer. copper solids are good too. OP, does your 870 barrel have a scope mount or rifle sights?
Good luck with it great way to hunt
Smage

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have an 870 with an extended rifled choke shoots federal tru ball, brenneke and cheap Remington sluggers good enough to harvest many Delaware deer. copper solids are good too. OP, does your 870 barrel have a scope mount or rifle sights?
Good luck with it great way to hunt
Smage

·
Registered
553 Posts
You could also shoot less expensive remmy buckhammers out of a smoothie with a rifled choke tube.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts