The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a winchester model 1200 12g mod barrel. My old lady bought me this for christmas. Can I use it for turkey? If so what shot size would be recommended? Also it has a 2 3/4 chamber, I can not find any shells specifically for turkey for this gun. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Sure, no reason why you can't. A lot of turkeys have been shot with 2 3/4 " loads and while many turkey hunters use a full or "turkey" choke, loads should pattern fine for you out to 30-35 yds (maybe a tad further) with a mod. choke. Remington, Federal, Winchester, and probably most companies make 2 3/4" loads sometimes called "baby magnums" that are used for waterfowl, pheasant, and turkey. I'd look for #4,5,or 6 copper plated shot or Hevi-Shot loads and pattern them in your shotgun to see what the effective range is. If you really wanted to, you could check with a gunsmith about installing a screw-in choke system in you barrel.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Pattern your gun with different brands of 4, 5, and 6 shot. Pick whichever one gives you the best pattern, at your maximum range(30-40) wards, and then go kill your turkey! I'm betting some brand of 6 shot will give you your best pattern, but it might not. That's why patterning your gun is so important. What works well in your gun, might not work well in another.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Winchester 1200 was what I killed my first gobbler with. And my second..........and my third.......

The 2 3/4" magnum 12ga. shotshell is PLENTY of medicine for turkey. Pattern it out and stick to your maximum effective range.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Pellet for pellet, you'll find that 2 3/4" loads will actually hit harder than the same powder charge pushing 3" and 3 1/2" loads.
Same shot size, same charge, less overall mass of total pellets......equals increased velocity and therefor harder hitting pellets.

·
Super Moderator
7,999 Posts
Yep, the others have already nailed it, but you can surely use that gun. You just have to find the range limitation and stick to it.

I'm guessing you're just starting out turkey hunting? If so, use the gun you have for a while, and I bet after a season or two, you'll have some pretty specific ideas of what you want to use as far as gear and such.

I started out turkey hunting 5 years ago with an 870 that my dad gave me when he was thinning out his guns. Despite looking at several purpose-made turkey guns and thinking "I love this gun!" I am still using my 870. I've added some stuff to it to make it more to my liking for turkeys, but it's the same 870 he shot ducks with when I was too young to hunt.

Since shells can be expensive and you're shooting a modified 2 3/4" gun, if it were me, I'd look at copper-plated lead shot and avoid the HeviShot. You're not likely going to be shooting to or beyond 40 yards, so I'm not sure if the HeviShot will be worth the price you'll pay to get it. If it were me, I'd be starting with whatever copper-plated #5 loads I could find that were cost-effective and see what they did, then go from there.

I've usually looked to see at least 90-100 pellets in an 10" circle around my point of aim. Once the count gets lower than that, I consider it to be too far. With my current gun, 45 yards is still good, 50 is really pushing it....but that's running 3" HeviShot 6's, 2oz loads, with a Jellyhead turkey choke.

And to be honest, the three shots I've gotten in my time turkey hunting have all been within 35 yards.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Yep, these guys nailed it. I shot a pile of turkeys with a Model 12, 2 3/4" full. Don't worry that yours is Mod. I'm sure you'll find the shell that gives you a nice even pattern at reasonable ranges. Heck, I believe more turkeys have been missed at close ranges due to super tight chokes than anything else.
Good luck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks everyone for the replies, yes i am just starting out turkey hunting, and i am just at a standstill with the gear i need. [censored] im still trying to figure out how to field dress a turkey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts