The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Glad you are having fun.I like shooting my Excal.Is it pretty accurate?Do you mind letting us know what you decided on?I know there are a ton to choose from and more every day almost.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a "BEAR FORTUS". It came with a scope ,quiver,3 arrows and tips plus the rope for cocking it. Cost me $279.
I am the kind of guy who doesn't like to tell people what i have bought?
Why ? Because i don't like to hear you got ripped or you should have got this one or the other one !
I started playing with a stick bow in 1955 and jumped to a re-curve in 1959 to hunt with. I still have a few of them. Compound bows came next and were the last ones that i used till i quit archery hunting in 1990!

Any how. This crossbow shoots so fast and is so accurate my old eyes can't see the bolt going thru the air but just hear if thump into the target after i pull the trigger!
Crossbows have one thing i don't like and have to get use to? That is the bulkiness of the limbs being 90 degrees to the stock !
A friend of mine offered me to come to his place to shoot it in . His father used a crossbow before he passed a couple of years ago. My buddy knew a good bit about shooting these from he and his father playing with them. He was tremendous help and i thank him.
We played for hours and he was shooting "MY BOW" into 3 shot groups so tight i was afraid he was going to Robin Hood my only 3 bolts,so i quit. That was at 40 yards!
I will most likely shot it so much,just playing with it, i will wear the rope cocker out !!!!!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I enjoyed my Bear Fortus this year. I shot a buck and a doe with it using 125 grain rage broadheads. Both deer ran 45 yards and were down with a great blood trail to follow.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
You might look into some illuminated nocks, willyp. Lots to choose from, and they'll really improve the visibility of your bolts in flight.

My father uses a crossbow and uses Nockturnal nocks. I use them for my compound as well, but obviously a different shape/style nock than his crossbow uses.

They are absolutely awesome, imho.

I shot my buck with my bow this year, and it was really early in the morning, so much so that I'd never have seen my actual arrow in flight without the illuminated nock. That was crucial to letting me know I was on target with my shot. The deer falling in sight didn't hurt, either, lol.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Bought my first one this year too! It is a blast to shoot my 2 daughters love to shoot it especially my 13 year old. She hunted gobblers with it this spring. Didn't get a shot with it but it has given her a new excitement for hunting! She was a bit gun shy. She is dead on accurate with it . I also bought a new elite compound this year cause I like that to much to give it up.
I wanted a crossbow for after Christmas and to hunt gobblers with too. I will probably sneak it out in archery some .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts