The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be straight forward and honest here, I have no idea how to read a target. I shot my .22-250 today with my hand loads and here are the results.

Load info:
55gr hornady ballistic tip
Winchester brass
Federal 210 match primers

35 grains of h380 powder
Overall case length- 2.364
100 yards to target

Weather conditions:
31 degrees
Winds very light from right to left or into my face

Platform:
Tikka t3 lite
Bushmell elite 4-16 Bdc reticle
Cleaned after every shot grouping.

35 grains

36 grains

37 grains

My question is, should I try keeping the 35 grain setup? Also, does this seem to be a tight enough grouping??

Ryan.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
It looks normal, I'd stay with the 35 grain load and start messing around with bullet seating. I'd go up .005" and down .005" and make a few different loads using different seating lengths. That should help you tune it even further.

Mac

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Some mistakes for sure.. Too start with, NEVER USE BALL POWDER !!!!!!! Get yourself some IMR 4064, Hornady 50 grain v-maxes and some remington 9.5 primers.. size only half the neck in your die and seat the bullet right around that line, you'll be surprised how easily you can see how over sized the factory chambers are... I also would use W/W brass.just seems to work better. Do not clean it after each group..that's why your first shots are in a different location that the rest.. get yourself a straightline seater if you can, it will make a big difference also.. the biggest problem with factory guns is the slop in the neck area.. you'll see .006 - 010 per side.. they are not benchrest cut chambers.. this could go on and on but try some of these and see what happens.. I've never had them fail in any 22/250 I've loaded for and that plenty over the last 50 years of tryin'

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Try the above neck sizing suggestion. Try 35 and 35.5 gr. 1 gr. is too much variation. You have room for more powder. You can probably go up to 41 gr. but go in .5 gr increments and watch for pressure signs. At 35 gr your speed probably is only about 3300 fps. You should get 3500+ easy with that gun. Crank it up a bit. Looks like you're getting there at 37...coming back together for you. Try 37.5 and 38...then keep going and see what happens.

I shot 35.5 gr h-380 for years and it shot great but being ball powder the temperature really changed speed and point of impact on me. Went to Varget and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I'm a big fan now of the OCW method to find your proper powder charge. just posting 3 targets of different powder charges that are so far apart doesn't tell the whole story IMO.

·
Registered
996 Posts
personally I think your trying too hard. Quit cleaning after every group. Just run a dry patch down the barrel when you start. That way you are not wasting time cleaning and complicating things with variances in bore fouling.

Just figure out what bullet you want to shoot. Then load up several cases with increasing powder powder charges as recommended. In a 22 250 I would go with .3 or .4 grains of powder increase. Fire them to make sure that they are all safe. Now go back and load up 4 of each charge weight. Before you start shooting shoot two rounds through the gun to foul the barrel. Now shoot two rounds through the gun and then wait for the barrel temperature to go back down to almost normal temperature. Now fire the other two rounds.

Repeat this until you figure out what charge weight shoots the best.

Unless your gun is brand new I would probably only clean it after every four or 5 groups or after you are done shooting for the day.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
38 gr. of H 380 and a 50 gr V-max , this load has shot well out of every 22-250 that i have ever tried it in , and its my go to varmit load.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input guys. Guess it's back to the drawing board for me. The concensus seems to be switch to varget and never look back.

Ryan.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
did the same with my .308 Ryan. tried a couple different powders, RL15 shows promise too, but the varget is just more consistent from bottle to bottle.

If you have not read about the OCW method, it's very similar to the ladder method of testing and I'd love the opportunity to explain it and see someone else put it into practice. If you want, PM me and i'll shoot you my cell number and we can chat about it.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I couldnt get the hornadys to shoot that well in my 22-250. After many failed attempts, I switched to 52 Gr. Berger Varmint Match.

That is all. Went from 1.5" groups to sub 1/2" groups. I run 38.0 grains of H380. This is the only ball powder I use for all my guns, but it works well in the 22-250.

Adjust your seating depth also, as that can change your results radically.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I see some vertical in your groups. Frequently this means load adjustment. 38 of H380 is a little light. I would load 3 of each; increasing a heavier charge by .03 grains at a time to a max of 41. That is near max. stop there.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got myself 50 grain vmax and I also got 1 pound of varget. I'm ready to roll my own. Well. I have to get a priming tool but then!!! I'm on it haha. So look for an update here gents.

Ryan.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Are you weighing each charge before dropping them in the case?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I am just over an hour from you. I also have a place to shoot right here. I would be happy to give you a hand if you want. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts