The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a blast! I felt I was cheating with 4x scope, but it was a lot of fun to the point I was actually shaky.

.45cal ( custom fit 45-70 barrel ) Underhammer
30.5"L 1-1/8"W barrel
1:22 twist
.440" round balls with .020" patch ( spit lube patch )

I first took it to 25 to zero in the scope, then backed out to 50 yards after I wiped the bore clean in the house and loaded up an assortment of powder charges.

At 50 yards, I first used 50 grains 3fg Goex and took my first 3 shots ( top right ) then I adjusted the scope down and center, took 3 more shots.

Next, for the fun of it, I loaded up a hunting charge of 70gr 3fg goex! The recovered patches were still in perfect shape as well. I kept them within 1 1/2" group with that big charge. Not bad at all! I was shaky, so I think that group will improve the next time I get set up on something a little more sturdy to offset my shakes.

I think I will hold on to her a little longer, play with her, refinish the barrel and stock and then maybe trade or sell her off down the road. A beautiful shooting underhammer indeed! I will however put a higher power scope on it! I have a nice Konus Pro 3-10x44 with super fine cross hairs that I think will do the job nicely.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I agree I'd be shaky also. The gun is not a shooter. I'll send you my address to take it off your hands.

On a side note that's pretty darn good! I think you could probably fine tune that one and have a tick licker of a gun.

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
the old H&A underhammer light bench target models were like that. I put Lyman peep sights on mine and shot several winning groups at 100 yds in regional cross stick and light bench matches. the problem was that they were 45 caliber and any cross winds played heck on groups.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I were shooting the big ol 400+ grain conicals that she was made for, i dont think would play much into that. I just dont feel like shooting such a huge bullet. 50-100 yard round ball plinking is a pleasure for me with this rifle LOL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts