The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out this morning and shot my fixed blade broadheads for the first time this morning. It appears they are grouping three or four inches left of where my field points are hitting. I have only shot mechanicals out of my bow up until today. Is it normal to have to adjust my sight to compensate ? Kind of stinks in regards to practicing. Anyhow in spite of my shots hitting left there is no noticeable kick in regards to the arrow shaft sticking out of the target. I was shooting field points at the same time I was shooting the broadheads and they were both in perfect alignment for the exception of the fixed being a few inches left.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
When I switched from Rage mechanicals to fixed Muzzy 3 Blades I had to adjust my sights. Then I would have to adjust back to shoot my field tips. Eventually I got tired of moving my sights and just changed my aim to compensate...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yes this is normal. Some times it's a small difference but many times you need to adjust. For what you gain from fixed it's worth the "extra" effort. I actually shoot field points all summer and then sight my bow in for my broadheads come September. I also have two sets of broadheads for this purpose.
Honestly, if you want to "compensate" I would get the BH's where you want them and use kentucky windage for the field points, this way your dang sure when in the field of where your going to hit!

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paper tuned field points at the bow shop but didn’t shoot broadheads through paper.

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
Went out this morning and shot my fixed blade broadheads for the first time this morning. It appears they are grouping three or four inches left of where my field points are hitting.
Does that remain consistent from 10 yards to 40 yards or does the distance increase from the point of aim as the range increases?

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven’t shot from 40 yet. Most of my shots were around 20 yards.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Google up broadhead tuning. Not difficult and will be able to get them both hitting the same spot. It's worth it.

Reactions: fall gobbler

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
try a "walk back" test....

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was also shooting the broadheads a couple inches high. Probably had close to 10 shots that fit in a area the size of a tennis ball.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The thing with moving my rest is that then my broadheads will be hitting where I am aiming but my field points won’t . Isn’t that correct ?

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
fraction of a inch
..but..in reality..there may only be very little difference ..possibly 1/8" between bh and fp ...and because of human error past 25/30 yards in a hunting scenario...it will not be noticed.

...but try the walkback test before you mess with rest..it is the simplest way to fine check your setup...
...all should be in sync when correct..

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
..put a thin strip of tape(electrical works great) vertically around that fancy Morrell target....
put all your field tips on..
Stand 5 feet away ..aim at tape and shoot.
go to 10'...aim at tape and shoot
go to 15' '..aim at tape and shoot
go to 20'...aim at tape and shoot
Dont shoot your arrows...
go to 20 yards...aim at tape and shoot
..if your shots move left as you move back...your rest is NOT correctly centered...

..I know there are better ways to do walk back...but if you are limited on shooting distance this has worked for me...I can shoot a max 17 yards in my basement and 60 outside in yard

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is definitely driving me a little crazy. It makes sense to me that a fixed blade will fly a little different than a field point just because of wind a surface area. Just trying to wrap my mind around getting them both to fly exactly the same. I will tinker with things when I have more time. Also shooting n the wind today was probably giving me some inconsistency. Want everything dialed in perfect before the season starts.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Also are you shooting helical fletching ? i could never get my fix heads to fly unless i had 3 degree helical. What spine and length arrow you shooting Steele?

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Duke never did any sort of calculations but they are 30.75 inches from bare shaft to nock. Gold tip XT Hunters 340. 8.9 GPI . Shooting a 125 non vented VPA broadhead.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You guys were correct about moving my rest in. Now I am hitting the bullseye with both my field points and my broadheads. Broadheads are to the left just inside the bullseye and field points are to the right. Getting close.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts