The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the afternoon bowhunting one last time. Managed to get within 60 yards of a big herd of deer in a cedar thicket. The last one came out at 43 yards and had a noticeable limp. I decided to try it. He was standing broadside, still and unaware. I had plenty of time and had just ranged a nearby tree. I managed to draw without spooking the other deer and made a perfect double lung shot. He piled up within 50 yards.

Someone shot him in the hoof in rifle season. His foot was swollen about the size of a softball and when I got him skinned out ,his shoulder was atrophied badly. I'm sure he wouldn't have made it through the winter. Not sure how to attach a pic from my phone.

It was a great way to end the season. I shot an 8 point the first morning of archery from the same stand.

·
Banned
174 Posts
Re: shot a shed buck tonight

Not sure how bad the injury was - you'd be surprised at what they can survive. With so many does runnning around it is always unfortunate when shed bucks get shot in the late season. Congrats though on what sounds like a good shot!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Maybe...but he ain't suffering any now and he's going to be mighty tasty.

·
Registered
430 Posts

You absolutely did the right thing Bownut. I do not approve of shooting fawns, button bucks or shed bucks unless they are injured. In fact, I usually buy a second doe tag that I won't use unless I see an injured one. Kudos to you Sir

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

congrats...i live in biglerville and go spotting around gettysburg and drive it to work everyday. I have seen more wounded deer this year than any other year that i can remember. Just got done spotting tonight and i saw a huge half rack that was limping pretty good.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Was that down by the new church schools on table rock? Think. I saw it too.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts

Good for you....I have to say I don't see the point of all the drama about shooting a shed buck.....I can't imagine that enough get shot to amount to a fart in a wind storm.....my opinion is, if you were out on the last day, in January, with a bow in your hand and are successful....Good for YOU!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

bownut said:
Was that down by the new church schools on table rock? Think. I saw it too.
Yes that is where it was...I have now seen 4 deer (2 bucks and 2 does) that were limping badly and they were all within a mile of the new church. Do you hunt close to that area?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Yep real close. About a half mile. I can only bowhunt there. The owners are very anti-gun.

I agree with the others that while its unfortunate some bucks get killed after they drop their horns it happens and there's nothing you can do about it. I gotta wonder if this Buck was one of the nice year and a half old bucks we passed on this farm? He would have been nice next year regardless.

I had a feeling he was a Buck when I shot. He looked different in the forehead. And I would have passed if he was healthy. But he wasn't. It was a "legal" deer. It was hurt and obviously having trouble getting around. I'm sure glad I did what I did. His injured leg was half the size of the other. Even if he'd have survived he would have never been able to grow to his full potential and most likely would have developed an odd rack anyway...not that that's a bad thing.

·
Registered
217 Posts

More than likely the stress from his injury had caused him to shed earlier than usual. You owe no one here an apology. You harvested a legal deer, and it sounds like one that was in bad shape to boot. Hopefully the meat will be good. Congrats.

·
Registered
248 Posts

look at it this way with killing a shed buck you only killed one deer but most of all it was legal good job

1 - 17 of 17 Posts