The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Palimbhanger talked me into getting a muzzleloader license to go hunting with him this season. So I called a buddy of mine to see if I could borrow one of his muzzleloaders. Today I shot it, the first time in 20 years that I shot one. It is a TC 50 cal Pennsylvania Hunter. I shoot 80 grains of powder, round balls. It also has a peep sight. We took it to the local range this morning. I shot 4 shots off a rest, there were blocks of wood there, we didn't have sandbags. I think I can kill a deer with it. I didn't know what to expect at first, I thought it would kick hard, but after the first shot I was OK. Here is a pic of the target:

·
Registered
9 Posts
welocome to muzzleloading,quick hint, if you run a dry patch between shots, your groups will be alot tighter and you will be more accurate, I bet you will get addicted like the majority who give it a try. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
1,747 Posts
I think the deer might be in trouble this friday when we go. I hope the biggest buck in the woods walks up to you. If you miss I'll have to shoot him then.

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At least i'll have a backup

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Sweet and Good Luck to ya Moss
I too became a BP addict in the last couple years and the outlook is for a full addiction the rest of my life lol

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Moss, One of the biggest things when shooting a flintlock is to concentrate and hold on the target. Alot of people will flinch when the "klatch" from the lock happens. As noted above, you better watch out, the addiction is hard to shake.

·
Registered
8,478 Posts
Acorn20 said:
Moss, One of the biggest things when shooting a flintlock is to concentrate and hold on the target. Alot of people will flinch when the "klatch" from the lock happens. As noted above, you better watch out, the addiction is hard to shake.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
i flinch and jump all over the place

if i hold right on the bulls eye at 50 yards i hit 1 foot to the left of the bullseye. Cant shake it. So now i compensate

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Some of the best sounds in the woods are " click- fluuush- boom"! BP is a ton of fun. Its only second to my first love archery. Nothing like tossing a lead ball at a deer.

Good hunting Koz

1 - 15 of 15 Posts