The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shot my friends flintlock for the first time today. It was alot of fun. now Im probably gonna end up get one before this fall. Ive always wanted one but that was the sealing deal.
now all I need to do is some research on it.

would you guys go with a lyman deerstalker or a TC hawken?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Oh yeah there is no question!! You WILL be buying a flintlock!!!
Blackpowder is very contagious and you have the disease!!
LOL
Welcome to the Frontstuffer family!!
I am strictly a T/C guy!!!
Dave

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
Oh no,here we go again.All of the negative talk and trashing everyones favorite brand.But serious.I too am a TC guy,but it also depends how much do you want to spend.You can go down to your local Walmart and pick up a Traditions Deerstalker for $227.Or you can spend about $100 more and get a Lyman.Or spend about another $250 and get a Hawken.My brother in law has a lot of fun with his Traditions Deerstalker.But the quality isn,t as good for my taste.But for the money it ain,t bad.You can find some good deals on here used all the time.Their is a like new Firestorm on here right now for a really good price.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Now that your addicted ......start selling stuff.....you need to build your own!!!!... to be primitive .... you must create your own weapon!!!! youll aslo need to shoot a bunch of deer with that weapon to tan their hides to make your own buckskins to hunt in...but first you need your weapon of choice....get building sooner your done the more practice you get!! welcome to your new addiction.... good building!!!!

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill probably buy a traditons deerstalker just to start off with then when I wanna upgrade ill just get a lyman or a TC hawken and then get my dad or brother started on the deerstalker. im defanatly getting one anway because there are way to many early season and late season doe I pass with a bow that I could get with a muzzleloader.
I must be spoiled in the fact that the first muzzleloader I shot was a TC hawken.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im probalby just gonna have one ordered at the local shop later this year during the summer. worst comes to worse Ill just go to walmart late in the summer and get the traditons.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Don't fall for the "Buy the cheaper Gun",theres no need to buy twice when you can get a good brand name gun first.Watch the classifieds there are some good buys showing up now.
Welcome to the world of the frontloaders.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I agree, I know people who have the traditions and most of them their sights fall of on them. The lyman is the most bang for your buck, personally TC is getting outragoius with their pricing. Oh yeah the earlier you get it the better. You can never get too much pratice

·
6,450 Posts
take a look at the traditions hawken thats what i got and 3 out of 4 trigger pulls the last 2 years ended with me putting a tag on a deer one was a nice buck. very accurate and reliable. the miss was a rush shot on my behalf and i should have known better. good luck and let us know what you get.

·
6,450 Posts
just to add my sights are very stable and i also have a deerhunter and the sights do stink. the reason i got a hawken in the traditions brand was price i always wanted a hawken. what ever you get make sure it has a set trigger they are invaluable in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Both TC(Hawken or Renagade)and Lyman's are good.

·
Registered
394 Posts
every gun is different even 2 of the same make. That is what makes flintlocks so neat you have to learn each gun and practice. just get what you can and shoot shoot shoot

·
Banned
900 Posts
Good luck!! Welcome to the group! Addicts love to share thier addictions. I got all three brands in the cabinet. I'm a Lyman guy and looking to eventually build custom.

The Lyman and TC were the easiest to figger out and get to the reliable condition for me. I bought Lyman and am really satisfied. Being lefty there were really no other choices. The Traditions is IMHO really for the guy who is not really that into it but wants to get in w/o a large money committment. Prolly better to buy the better the first time and be happy.

Kinda like marriage.......my first was not the "top of the line". It cost me a bundle but now that I have upgraded to a "good one" I'm very much satisfied with my "purchase" and not looking out at other "guns".

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
If you you do decide to go with the Traditiond Deerstalker first.Consider getting it in one of those redi pak packages.It includes all of the accessories(bullit starter,primer charger,powder measure,lube,cleaner,even balls or sabots.Plus the rifle too of course.That,s how my BIL got his from a present from his wife.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
As mfwing82 said every muzzleloader is different, treat them with a lot of TLC and they will give you a much better results.

As for what to buy, save your money and buy the best one you can afford, they come up for sale all the time here on HPA. Do a little horse trading and you can get a good deal. The better quality the lock and triggers, the better the experience.

After you shoot a flintlock for a while you will understand why we call our rifles "she". As with any Lady you treat her with a lot of TLC but once and a while she will still get a little tempermental

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
I agree with Jester to a point.If this is goin to be your rifle to keep till doomsday than yes,pay more now.But to get your feet wet and to get started and to hand it down and not worrying about it gettin knocked around and beat up.I,d say get the Traditions pkg.Then just pass it off when you are ready to step up and let someone else learn with it.The price for the T/Deerstalker is so cheap it makes doin that a very rewarding and inexspensive way to get involved in this great pastime.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I have stated before I have owned CVA,Traditions,RMC and T/C flintlocks(I still have all of the above except the Traditions-I sold it to a friend). I am not starting trash talk about any one brand BUT remember "You get what you pay for" has always been true in my life. Although I am a 100% T/C guy(strictly shoot T/C products)I have to say my RMC is better than my T/C flintlocks(but I paid more).
Retiredusn said it best "buy once".
I have never owned a Lyman but also hear good things about them. Do some research and make your decision.
You will find the Blackpowder will end up your favorite!!
Good Luck

Dave

·
Registered
12,719 Posts
I agree with the others. At least buy a decent gun. I would say a good used T/C Renegade or Hawken or a used or new Lyman. Myself, I only have one production flinter left, a T/C Hawken with the custom shop 31 inch roundball barrel on it. My next rifle will be a TVM Early Virginia. Yes, I will spend about 1200 for it when all is said and done, but it is a lifetime investment with all top of the line parts and made to my specs.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts