The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see Ten Point just came out with a 16 inch arrow. The Vengent and Viper shoot 20 inch bolts I believe.
Screenshot_20201229-230353_Chrome.jpg
20201230_005018.jpg

From what I see, these 2 crossbows are essentially the same, except for length and minor speed, but a huge price difference. Can a shorter bolt be used to bring the broadhead inside the limbs? It appears
the vengent broadhead is inside the area highlighted on the viper. Can you use a 16 or shorten a 20 as long as it doesnt go so far back to hit the rail or anywhere in that pocket area? I understand you need to add an equivalent grain weight with a broadhead and insert. Pros and cons of doing this?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I can only offer an opinion on a part of the equation... If you shorten the bolts too much, i.e. to get them into the machined recessed area you circled, you may have a problem with clearance if you shoot fixed blades. That's my only beef with my Mission MXB-360, I'm stuck with shooting mechanicals. I can't find a fixed head with a small enough cutting circle to not have an interference problem. I bought some Toxic heads, that according to Mission's specs should have worked, but they did not. Other than that, you have to deal with the stiffness and minimum weight concerns. If I were you, I'd contact Ten Point's customer service and I'm sure they have a technician that would give you the appropriate answer to your question.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got what I believe to be a standard company answer. They dont recommend using the newer shorter 16 inch arrow..she was not sure if it was too short and they also dont recommend a custom cut arrow. If I want an enclosed broadhead I have to spend about 500 more to get a vengent which is a bit irritating .

·
Registered
698 Posts
I cannot figure out which ones use the shorter arrows. They all say the same Evo X Center Punch that come with them. None of the say the 16" version.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I have the Viper and the issue of the blade sticking out bothers me too. Since the fake foot stirrup can be removed, I am thinking of making or altering the stirrup so it is longer. Welding longer legs seems to be the easiest option.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I was on the phone with them, they mentioned they offer a longer stirrup..not sure if it's a freebie ask but they have longer ones.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think you could use a shorter arrow if you end up with the correct weight.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I have both crossbows.

The Vengent S440 (above) has a longer powerstroke (14") to achieve the extra 30 FPS. That's why the broadhead is contained within the frame of the bow hanger. It shoots the 20" 445 grain CenterPunch arrows @ 400 FPS.

The Viper S400 (above) only has an 11" powerstroke and shoots 30 FPS slower. That's why the broadhead protrudes past the bow hanger. It shoots 20" 445 grain CenterPunch arrows @ 370 FPS.

The 16" CenterPunch arrows are new this year and made for their short 2021 RDX models (above). They weigh in at 398 grains.

The 16" CenterPunch arrows cannot be shot from the Vengence. Although TenPoint does not recommend it they can be shot from the Viper. There's exactly 1/8 of an inch clearance from the arrow insert to the end of the rail. Field points, mechanicals and fixed blade heads (that do not exceed 1 1/8") will work from the Viper.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tbrom, thank you for taking the time to do this. This is exactly the type of info I was looking for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts