The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, little one is getting a bolt action single shot .22LR from Santa! It's a bantam size but still a little big. Any ideas on cutting the stock? Who can do this in SE PA without charging me more than what I have in the rifle? I'd like to save the piece or pieces after cutting to add on as needed with growth. I had an idea to bore 2 holes in the butt stock before cutting, and then cut off two 3/4" sections. As needed, I would use wood dowels later to pin and epoxy to add length is needed. Am I in over my head? It is preowned, but I don't want to trash the thing with a bubba job. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Shortening a stock can be a tricky endeavor depending on how short you need to make it. One thing that you need to consider is if after shortening, you can find a but pad or plate to fit it. Sure, they can be sanded an formed to the stock but depending on where the screw holes are for attaching the stock, you might end up with the bottom screw passing through the bottom of the stock due to the angle.

What is the gun's current length of pull and what is your youngun's length of pull?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
It cost me $50 or $60 to have the stock cut down on my wife's benelli and he also took the existing aftermarked butt pad and reshaped it to fit the stock.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I did what you said,I used a fine tooth hand saw,taped the stock where I was going to cut , worked out fine, if you can cut a straight line your good.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I cut a,savage axis stock down for my kid and reshaped and reused the original buttpad by drilling and riveting it back on. Not pretty but functional.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts