The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do Short mags such as the WSM's, RSAUM's, and the RCM's serve a real niche or are they useless, passing fads?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Stock up on ammo if you buy a short mag. I have one and any time I need to get bullets I have to drive an hour to get them. Nobody locally seems to carry the short mag ammo.

I have a 300 WSM and I like it. There a bit shorter overall so that helps with moving around like in a treestand. I think the WSM is suppose to be faster.

I remember reading that the WSSM had barrel problems.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
The people I know who bought them are now getting rid of them. That tells me something
......you don't need a mag/short mag for deer, ammo prices are crazy and they have no advantage over what has worked for 10 years.....you can't make a deer "dead'r" with a short mag.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think they were over hyped, over rated, and eventually will just be over.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
I think they're just a fad and I don't see what all the hype is about but my friend who has one loves it and his brother just bought one as well. Both now own .300 WSM's.

·
Registered
21,534 Posts
Not at all overhyped.They'e an excellent concept.Would it be worth it to get rid of your 30-06 or 300 win mag to get one?Probably not but for a guy getting ready to buy a new gun,they're a good choice.I don't need a magnum but I had to have one anyway.I bought a new stainless stalker when they first came out.I couldn't find ammo at the time but dies and cases were available.I played around with that rifle extensively and never really found a load that it didn't like.I chronied it and found that velocities were wight around 3100 fps with 165 gr bullets and above 2900fps with 180's.That level of performance was easily achievable without any signs of pressure and very moderate recoil.On top of that,the rifle it was chambered in was pretty handy to haul around the steep ridges I usually hunt.Case life has also been excellent.I sold that rifle to my one buddy because I had to have a new Kimber Montanna in that same chambering.It's even more accurate and weighs even less.I've killed a bunch of deer with both rifles and have yet to notice any overkill,whatever that is.

The 300 wsm is accurate,easy to load for,comfortable to shoot and it offered in rifles that appeal to the style of hunting I do.If I were forced to only have one rifle,it would be a 300 wsm.It's basically a handloading only proposition but I haven't shot a factory loads in years so that's fine with me.I have enough brass to last a lifetime and the rest of the components are all run of the mill.In my opinion,the short mags were the best idea to come along in a long time.They don't offer any huge benefits to other chamberings but they don't have any shortcomings either.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have a Winchester model 70 in 300WSM. What I like about it is the rifle is shorter and lighter. What I like about the cartridge is it doesn't have a belt and has a longer case neck than the 300 Win mag and is apparently more efficient. I think the WSM's, especially the 300 are here to stay, the WSSM's and the others, maybe not.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have a Browning A-Bolt .270 WSM Love it! Did/do I need it for PA deer? No but it works extremely well and I have plenty of ammo and can get more.
Smage

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I think they are here to stay. i have a mod 70 shadow in 7mm wsm very light fast handleing gun. Plus shoots 1" groups with factory ammo. It is great for deer and bigger game if need be 7mm rm velocity in a short light weight rifle and recoil is not bad at all. I will soon be buying a 300 wsm for bear hunting.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Speaking of short...............

Funny how the .284 Win., 6.5 Rem. Mag. and .350 Rem. Mag. languished to some extent over the years and never seemed to get the full credit due them. They embody a short magnum concept. I threw the .284 Win. in the bunch because it ran in a short action, and could hold a hefty dose of powder; it was just missing that "magnum" belt. Savvy riflemen knew these as good rounds. Mention them today and they just don't wow many, yet their ballistics in a properly barreled rifle built to consume the powder charge are commendable.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I had a Weatherby vanguard " howa " 270 wsm that shot real good, but i traded it off, It wasnt that i disliked the gun or the caliber, but at the time i was more into the small cals. Its one gun i kind of regret getting rid of. I reload for a few buddys 270 wsms and they like them alot.
I think the 270 wsm and 300 wsm are here to stay.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Unnecessary. Cartridges already exist that fill the bill nicely. May have some merit in regard to the desire for a "short action" but that's really a moot point. Corporate need for the "new" to sell more rifles and cartridges... can't say that I blame them as they're in business to make a buck. But, they don't fill any gap ...just different.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Muab Dib said:
Unnecessary. Cartridges already exist that fill the bill nicely.
Muab Dib

Bah !...It's better to have too many than not enough...These new cartridges are fun to mess with and their guns will all turn into collectors items as soon as they discontinue the chamberings, which unfortunately, will be soon..

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Huskyhunter said:
I think the 270 wsm and 300 wsm are here to stay.
Agreed. The rest will soon go away. The WSM's will be around and chambered for years. The others were a bit late to the party.

Just look at how many different gun manufacturers chamber the 270 and 300 WSM. Most of them do. Not so much the others.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Other than the .300 WSM most of the others don't seem to be gaining much and I hear very little talk going on about any of them at local sportsmens clubs..they certainly have their place, for the most part do exactly what their supposed to do and rarely cause any problems for their owners..I think the economic conditions over the last 10 years haven't helped much either..how many local yokal sportsmen have an extra $1000.00 laying these days to get a new big game rifle anyways......

1 - 20 of 95 Posts