The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am in the market to get a dedicated clay buster. i shoot a little of everything. i don't want a specialty trap gun or skeet gun. i want something for trap, skeet, sporting clays and 5 stand. either an over and under 12ga or semi auto 12 ga. i have used an 870 pump so far and i want to step up some but i don't want to spend more than $800.

·
Registered
846 Posts
O/U = SKB - it's really a browning -- or find a used beretta/browning in that price range, but it will be a longer search.

Semi-auto - beretta is most popular and you can find them occasionally. Browning gold/winchester SX 2/3 are good bets as well.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
You can find used 391 Beretta's for $800 or less. I have probably close to 200,000 through my 390 by now and have only had to replace a couple little springs. I'll look up this way since you are close by and let you know what is out there. The last time I was at Grice's in clearfield they had two nice Urika sporting's on the used rack for around $900.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Rem,

I've had good luck (so far) by checking out the bulletin boards at the local clubs that I frequent. I picked up a really nice Beretta 391 with a couple of extra chokes for around the price you're looking to spend. I also scored on a Benelli Super Sport that is like new for a great price.

Good luck in your search,let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you really want to be competitive you'll need a gun with an adj comb, 28"-32" barrel and an array of chokes.

While shooting trap, you can jack up the comb and use a IM/F choke tube.

While shooting the rest, lower the comb and put in a IC choke tube.

One gun that comes to mind is a Beretta 391 Urika Parallel Target 12ga 30". You should be able to find a used one in your price range.

Good luck, practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Nice gun Eyecatcher, I see alot of them on the Sporting Clays courses. If I ever went to a 12 gauge semi full time (It may require a screenname change) I'd switch to Beretta.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I changed over to all Beretta's about 2 years ago now
They just fit me so good right out of the box
I have 3 now 391 teknys gold, 686 white onyx, and 682 Gold E
all in 12 Gauge.
Go find a shop that carries several Brands and Models and pick them all up - Don't look at the price - See which one feels best. Then start looking at price, then do some shopping to find that gun in your price range or adjust your finances enough to make it work.
Good Luck
If your ever in this area and want to take a couple shots with one of mine, just let me know we'll get together and make it happen

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Sounds like a job for a browning or beretta (B guns) auto. You could get a remington or franchi for a little less but I think the quality of the B guns is a step up. You could pay a bit more and get a benelli another good B gun. Fit and what appeals to you is of the utmost importance. You may be able to find some good deals on Browning golds since they're now discontinued but still not hard to find.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
A litle over that price range, but I have a Browning Special Sporting Edition in 30" barrels that is just loaded with nice features. Especially love the ported barrels, palm swell, and raised rib.

I hate shooting any shotgun that doesnt have a raised rib. Not raised much, even just a 1/4 inch or so, like an 1100 or 870, but a flush rib which doesnt rise above the receiver is just something I hate to shoot.

·
Registered
377 Posts
SKB does not equal browning...... They are no where near the same, don't let anyone tell you they are. That is like saying a Hyundai is the same as a Lexus because they are both made in ASIA. I'd look for a good used Browning Citori with a minimum 30" barrels. Fixed Full and mod barrels are fine. If you look hard enough you can find the right deal on one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts