The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been having trouble shooting in the month of November. Let me give you the back story (no pun intended):

I had to take off hunting for last two years because I hurt my back. I was in bad shape. I didn’t know if I was going to be able to hunt this year right up until the beginning of duck season. I tweaked my back swimming while conditioning for hunting season this summer. I missed early goose season. I said screw it with a week to go until opening day of duck. I knew I would be rusty shooting but, I was afraid of going to the range because I didn’t know the effect it would have on my back. I have twins on the way in January so, I haven’t been able to get to the range. I am able to hunt one day a week with my wife complaining the other six days that there are more important things to do.

On Opening Day in October, I missed a number of birds but, I didn’t shoot all that bad. I was just a bit rusty. In fact, I shot well all of October; then came November 6. That day started off good. I missed an overhead shot on a bird that surprised me flying semi-low from behind. It was a difficult shot; no worries. Next, I shot and killed a teal. Then it happened. I got two mallards to go feet up not 30 yards from my spot. I missed two shots clean. I don’t know what happened. I ruminated on those shots. I was sick.

Last weekend, the hunting was slow. On a slow day, I managed to work single mallards on four separate occasions to go feet up in my spread; easy shots all within 30 yards. I missed each time. I don’t know what is going on. I have absolutely no confidence when I mount the gun. I know I’m hesitating now. I’m completely psyched out. Do you have any advice on how I can get out of this slump? I know it is all mental. How do you cure that?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts