The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent a few hours today shooting an Antique Smoothrifle. Circa 1825, Lehigh/Berks Barn gun. The old girl shoots everything well. Today she did birdshot, Buck and Ball, .480 Roundball, OO buckshot, #4 buckshot. I have had an itch to kill a Spring Gobbler with her for years, this year we will scratch it. I know its been said before, but you have to wonder as you shoot the old ones, just what have they killed? Deer,bear,small game, Johnny rebels, who knows? Thats their mistique for me.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL! You are right! Perhaps even a skaliwag or a carpetbagger! This one came from Hatboro,Pa. I know its lineage for at least 100 years. Its unsigned, and there is no clue anywhere as to who made it. I had it examined by Ron Gabel ( one of the best ), he could nail down the geographic area, but thats it. I asked him why the LOP was so short, he said it was made for a five foot Dutchman whose arms were only a foot and a half long !

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
there is nothing like shooting an old original gun. been shooting my heavy barrel, 36 cal remington barreled gun. had it checked out and is believed to be about 1840. boy if it could talk! also got my hands on a 32 cal (mckean on the barrel) that will be ready to shoot any day now. i think i need to find more old ones!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts