The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Do you prefer a stand with a shooting rail for crossbow hunting?

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you prefer a stand with or without a shooting rail for crossbow hunting? I'll be hunting with a crossbow for the first time this year and wondering whether I would find one of my stands with a shooting rail (climber and ladders) to be a help or a hinderance, or whether I should stick with the simple hang-on stand with no shooting rail.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I don't like to use a shooting rail. I never shoot beyond 30 yards anyway so I really don't need the rest. Plus if a deer comes in real close, that rail can inhibit you from lowering your bow low enough for the shot. Each of the last 4 bucks I've gotten have been within 12 yards. A rail would have hosed me on several of them.

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
I use both but prefer simple hang on stands. I like to stand up when I see a deer approaching as it offers more maneuverability than sitting. I shoot offhand the majority of the time when stand hunting so that is how I practice.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I like the rail for xbows. Something to lean bow on while rattling.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
With the kids, we have pretty much been using double ladder stands with a rail.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I like the shooting rail on a ladder stand not for shooting but keeps the crossbow in "ready" position for a lot less movement also very quick to shoulder
X3

I like to sit my crossbow in the right corner of my shooting rail (I shoot right handed) so it's always ready, and I use the shooting rail to attach my camo treestand skirt to provide some cover to allow some movement without being spotted.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
If I am hunting from a hang on stand I also like to stand to shoot and freehand the shot.
If I am hunting out of a doghouse ground blind I will use a monopod to shoot off of since I can't stand comfortably in the blind and need to slouch or sit to fire. The monopod allows smooth 180 degree motion and holds the xbow at the desired height for a clean shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts