The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After living all around the country for well over 30 years, our family is trying to consolidate Looks like SE Penna is the place, Lancaster, to be specific.

I've lived close to large tracts of public land for the better part of my life and hate to give up the easy access to shooting at old gravel pits, abandoned dumps, or a remote place on federal or state land where there's a natural backstop.

From what little I have learned so far, it looks to me like such opportunities probably do not exist around Lancaster, PA. I hope I'm wrong, but I'd guess that sportsmen's or shooting clubs are the only option.

IF this is the case, are there numerous ones in that area?
How about commercial, pay-to-shoot ranges for rifle and clay sports?

Are there outlying or adjacent counties that offer better public shooting opportunities?
Look forward to your responses.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
You will have no trouble finding a local gun club in Lancaster county to join.You may have to drive 30 minutes but they are there.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have lived in Lancaster Co all My life. There are enough clubs spread out across the county that you can easily raech within 20 minutes.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm in the north western part of the county and there are plenty of clubs around here. Membership fees are very reasonable. Unless you're looking for long distance rifle shooting, you should be fine. New Holland has a 600 yd range, but I believe membership is pricey. That and the drive put me off, but I would love to be able to try shooting at extended ranges.

Most clubs do not require membership for skeet, trap, or sporting clays. You just pay per round.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Penn-Dutch has 400yd target, and is real close to New Holland. I became a member there when I got the chance to go to Wyoming and needed practice at longer ranges.

·
Registered
555 Posts
SS43 said:
Penn-Dutch has 400yd target, and is real close to New Holland. I became a member there when I got the chance to go to Wyoming and needed practice at longer ranges.
Thanks, SS. I'm going to look into that.

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Hey, ROVERT, let me know what you find out on that one. I'd be interested, too. A bit of a drive, but a good range to stretch out to 400 would be really nice.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Many also require you to attend at least one work day at the club a year as well.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I think Atglen is over in Chester County but not that far fron eatern Lancaster county border. They have great facilities and range to 500 meters. They hold all kinds of shoots on weekends that are open to the public like silhouettes, sporting clays and such.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Been to Atglen, and a member at Penn-Dutch
Both nice clubs
Atglen has sporting clays and a good archery program
Penn-Dutch has a good number of outdoor ranges

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate all the input to this post. Sounds like the area is gun-friendly, or at least has a solid core of gun owners. Being that far east, I was expecting to hear about a strong anti-gun atmosphere.

The club dues and fees mentioned are very reasonable. All that's left is for me to find a place to live that I can afford.

Does the area offer much in the way of small land parcels at reasonable prices where a guy can put up a modular or mobile with garage? I'm open to suggestions about less expensive areas. Housing in Lancaster itself seems kind of pricey, relative to what I've been living in for the past 30 years.

·
Registered
555 Posts
GuyMarsh said:
I appreciate all the input to this post. Sounds like the area is gun-friendly, or at least has a solid core of gun owners. Being that far east, I was expecting to hear about a strong anti-gun atmosphere.

The club dues and fees mentioned are very reasonable. All that's left is for me to find a place to live that I can afford.

Does the area offer much in the way of small land parcels at reasonable prices where a guy can put up a modular or mobile with garage? I'm open to suggestions about less expensive areas. Housing in Lancaster itself seems kind of pricey, relative to what I've been living in for the past 30 years.
Lots sized an acre or less usually start around $80,000 and go up from there. 10 acres will typically cost you at least $200,000. This is in the north western part of the county.

I imagine that anything in the county is going to cost more than Michigan. The better buys are typically going to be existing homes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts