The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some shooting lanes cleared on a hillside that has a mix of hard/soft trees and mountain laurel. I have heard some good things about the native greenbriar, in order to keep the lanes clear of resprouting mountain laurel would greenbriar be a better idea? If so where can I purchase it at? I understand the deer like to browse on greenbriar late in the season which would work great ofr muzzleloader season.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Is there greenbriar nearby now? If not it's probably because there is not enough sunlight for it to grow. If there is some nearby opening up the canopy will usually allow it to start to pop out. Transplanting probably wouldn't work unless you opened the canopy up a little. It doesn't need full sun but full shade won't work either. I have transplanted it before with some success. I had heard of a company selling a mix with that in it but could not find out a name. The price was a bit salty too.....around $50/#. If I can turn up a name I'll post it. Also take a real close look at the ground if you haven't already. I have seen that stuff already there but the deer keep it browsed down to dirt level almost. If you can find some put a 5' dia cage around it and you would be suprised how fast it will take off.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't believe there is any, I think I should have enough light, what I hope is it gets sun most of the day and I have cleared some pretty wide shooting lanes. I know there is some multiflora down the valley where it was logged out years ago. I don't want anything to do with that stuff. Any help will be appreciated. I do plan on caging the plants up. Maybe I should take a walk and look better to see if I can find some to transplant instead of paying out the nose. I just thought it should be cheap and available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts