The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may not be the right forum for this topic, but I figured that with the amount of time the habitat crew puts into their land, they would also be the best source for ideas on observation/shooting houses.

Dad turned 70 last year, but his zest for deer season is as strong as ever. Unfortunately, his tolerance for the weather that we sometimes endure during rifle season is not what it was. I hate to see this keep him out of the deer woods, so I thought I would build him a comfortable shooting house. My daughter is 11 and anxious to share our hunts, so I thought I would make it big enough for her to share with grandpop. I can't think of a better mentor for my youngest.

I'm handy enough, but rather than learn from my mistakes on this project I thought I would ask the experts for ideas, plans, etc. to get me started on the right track. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
This is too small for the both of them but it is what my dad (75) did for himself then I put one on my property for him as well.

We started with a sturdy pallet, put a half sheet of wolmanized #/4" plywood down for the floor then built each side and the roof hauled it to location and put it together there. The windows are old house windows with hinges screwed to the top to swing out. There is a hole drilled into the inside part of the window and a prop with a headless nail in it to hold the window open. If it is going to be heated put a layer of foam under the tin on the roof or it will "rain".

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PA-Joe said:
You can also get a popup blind for 49.00!
That's what I set-up for him last year, but they require regular snow load maintenance to keep the roof from collapsing. When the snow gets too heavy and they collapse the fiberglass support poles in the walls shatter. I'm looking for something much more comfortable and permanent. I saw a post from bake545 where he actually has a heated blind. That's more along the lines that I want to build. Insulated, good functioning windows, built to last, etc.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
We've built 4 fully enclosed shooting houses off the ground. The first 3 had more doing than planning and turned out great. They were built on telephone poles with a standard 16 inch on center 2X6 floor. The walls were built with rough cut oak planks without studs. The roof was built on top of the planks. Like the floor, the roof was built with 2X6's. The windows were then cut out of the planks with some support around them.

Sometimes we used old windows and other times we just used the planks we cut out and attached them with hinges.

The last SH we built last summer was built at someones house with standard wall building techniques and then reassembled on the property. We used treated posted with Elevator brackets attached to the floor. I think this way is a bit more expensive but easier in some ways since it was built mostly somewhere with a power source other than a generator.

I wish I had some close up pictures but I don't and I won't be back up to the property till then end of this month. If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks bake... I do have a few questions.
What size (LxWxH) would you recommend for two people to be comfortable?
What roofing material did you use?
Did you insulate the heated SH, and if so what did you use?
What type of heater did you use?
Thanks for your help!
Bud

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I built my first shooting house last fall and it came out great. I started with 4 6x6x12's 4 feet in the ground. I leveled the tops and framed it out 12" apart using 2x6,s and placed 3/4" plywood over that for the floor. The basic shape was 6'x7'for the house and a 3 foot porch. The porch i used 1x6 oak for the floor. I made the walls at home and lifted each and nailed them all together once on the deck. I used 2x4's. On three sides I have windows I got from a mobile home i saw someone tearing apart. They were 26x52. I placed them in after the walls were secure. I then made trusses and put them up and covered with plywood, tar paper and shingles. I used house wrap on the exterior and alaskan siding. I used foam insulation I had from other projects to insulate, 3" thick on all walls and ceiling. Placed a old carpet on the floor. painted the inside black and dark brown -camo style. stained the wood siding dark brown. I have 2 old computer chairs to sit on and a 2x10 for a rest mounted under the window to hold the sand bags. To heat it I bought a small propane heater and mounted it on the wall-blue falme type about 2'x2'. I didnt even use a whole 20# tank and it was used nearly all the time in rifle and late season. In fact you had to run it on low and turn of and on for 20 minute cycles. It made the long, cold days NICE!.

Similar to the previous post but with 3 windows that could open and shut. And a trussed roof, that overhung the walls by 2 feet to keep rain out when windows are open. Also used a storm door that had a glass window so i could see all 4 ways. If i had to say what i had in it if it was all new material ~$750 Windows and doors are the big items,
I built it for my dad and my 2 year old down the road, but the whole family wanted to sit with pap. We shot 2 bucks and 4 doe from it. It was worth the work!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
cj sudhop said:
Thanks bake... I do have a few questions.
What size (LxWxH) would you recommend for two people to be comfortable? I'd say at least 6 X 6 for L and W. Height would depend on how tall anyone hunting in it is. I'm 6'4" and don't appreciate hitting my head especially when there will likely be nails sticking through the roof

What roofing material did you use? Shingles
Did you insulate the heated SH, and if so what did you use? Yes and no. When we did insulate we used the inch or so thick 4X8 sheets of insulation. The biggest thing was keeping the wind out of the ones we built using planks. If you build the walls with studs and plywood for sides I'm not even sure you would need insulation.
What type of heater did you use? Anything from old home kerosene heaters to MR Heaters to the newest house having a small wall mounted heater. It doesn't take much to heat them especially if they are insulated.
Thanks for your help!
Bud
Having said all that I don't even hunt out of them much unless it's raining. I'll let the older folks use them till I get up there in age

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for your generous help! Indianahunter, what's Alaskan siding?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts

We built this shooting house on an axle and move it with the four wheelers as needed. The Mr. Buddy Heater keeps it quite toasty for the old timers.

Kinzua Man

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
I am looking to build two this year, both likely elevated just enough to get above the grapevines and clear cut slashings....been planning it for awhile. Last year if you would of asked me, my was to have them built and in the woods for over a month now...reality is I will be scrambling to build them by Labor day (my self imposed deadline for building and moving stands), gots lots of work to do when we get home from the beach.

One plus, my boy loves to design and build stuff.

No windows or heat planned...more for movement concealment , look at my avatar to understand...

GOOD THREAD!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts

this one is 4x6. i like the 4x8 better.one sheet of 3/4 plywood for the floor,2x6x8 for floor joices.4x4x8 for posts.storm windows mounted sideways and greased.simple and a little buddy for heat!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts