The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to shoot with my bow arm slightly bent due to string hitting clothing and notice at times my vanes hit my chin and if I am hitting them hard enough the arrow moves on my rest.If I straighten my arm I am ok, but string hits mt clothes.Any constrctive input would be appreciated.Cold weather creates an issue due to heavy clothing.Tried various armgaurds.thanks

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
I assume that since you said vanes and not feathers then you are talking about a compound bow. Where do you anchor that allows the veins to hit your chin? In my minds eye it looks as if you are anchoring on your lower jawbone? If so, perhaps a higher anchor point would help that aspect. As for the bent bow arm and clothing string slap that is something that as a longbow shooter I have oversome by wrist curls with weights and the bend in my bow arm looks like a dogs leg. I still use an arm guard though because string slap from 65# longbow will definately get your attention.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I agree with what has been said. At full draw, with a relaxed and straigh neck, the tip of your nose should just touch your string. If your string is coming across the side of your nose, your draw length is too long.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
More than likely your DL is long. You could open your stance alittle & this will help with arm slap.

It is better to get your DL right, as most shoot too long a DL. Alot of other form problems are solved by haveing the correct DL.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Grip is also a cause for arm slap, if you rotate your grip to a 45 degree angle with the bow resting on just the pad next to your thumb. This will also help with arm slap & torqueing the bow.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
RayRay said:
Grip is also a cause for arm slap, if you rotate your grip to a 45 degree angle with the bow resting on just the pad next to your thumb. This will also help with arm slap & torqueing the bow.
this is what most people fail to do

1 - 8 of 8 Posts