The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the humidity play a major role when shooting. i notise on sat. afternoon my gun was a little slow going off but all of my shots wear a little to the right .i know i wasnt pulling because iam left handed, so can it cause the gun to shot off or was it just me

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sure can. The higher the humidity, the more moisture the powder can draw from the air which can affect performance. It's not likely the powder had anything to do with the to-the-right POI's, that is likely a heat related problem with the barrel/mount deflection (warp).

·
Registered
12,384 Posts
Or perhaps you have a follow through that involves a "wave" ie the gun is held on for as long as you can, but involves a slight sway of the gun the same each time. slightly slower ignition/firing can lead to a consistant POI that is "off" the same each time. If you watch some shooters in offhand, when they are aiming, the muzzle actually makes a slight circular motion. if they try to shoot as the gun sways this way, it can be off a bit. I once belonged to a club near Annapolis that had a range down in a swamp. There was muck and water between the firing line and the 25 yd backstop. Summers were so humid there that we had to constantly wipe the greasy runny fouling residue out of the pan and barrel.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
My Flinter sights are set low on the Barrel.I get a lot of heat waves after the Barrel heats up. At the shoot on Saturday, the 25 targets weren`t too bad . When I shot the 75 yarder, it was bad! I noticed my shots were to the right...and left..and high and low!!! Kinda funny, but after shooting on a high Humidity day we all look like we were playing in the Coal Bin....

·
Registered
889 Posts
Moisture and temperature change the burn rate of BP. It really is that simple. All powder is effected to some degree. I always sight my MZ in during the season, and where I am hunting. Then I never take my MZ inside until after the season is over. Tom.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
I know humidity will cause the gun to foul more it seems. When I shoot in colder weather I can usually go at least 5 shots before having to swab the bore. When its warm and humid out, sometimes I have to swab every 2 shots. It also makes the priming powder harder to set off as well. When hunting the early season there were times I was dumping the priming powder every half hour. In colder weather I might have to dump it once and that was at the end of the day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts