The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve been wanting to have a solid shooting bench for quite some time now so I searched the internet for some plans. I found a picture of one with dimensions so I studied the picture and here’s what I came up with.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Super Moderator
24,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
very impressive , can you post specs , would like to build one at camp
I’ll see if I can find the pic again I deleted it off my phone

·
Super Moderator
24,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They’re attached to the bench

·
Super Moderator
24,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After using this sighting guns in I found the dimensions for the seats rather small. I've decided to cut the middle brace out and redo it so I can fit both legs in. It would be a lot more comfortable shooting. Pics to follow when spring gets here :grin2:

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
If you are reworking it you should think about making the seats separate from the bench. With everything connected like it is now any body movement on the seat will be transferred onto the bench.

Good luck, Tony

·
Super Moderator
24,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Super Moderator
24,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
522 Posts
On my bench I have one leg that moves up and down, I can make it solid on any unlevel ground.
A piece of 1 inch pvc pipe, pt 2x4, 1/4 inch all thread and wing nuts,
cut 2x4 31/2 inch square need 2.
hole saw in center so pipe fits in.
before you cut it in half drill 2 holes for all thread or lag bolts will work
cut 2x4 in half, screw 1/2 to the table.
cut 1 more 2x4 and hole saw same as the other 2.
slide pipe into hole drill 1/4 inch hole through 2x4 and pipe
secure with a 1/4 inch bolt. this touches the ground.
When i cut the 2x4 in half I tapped the half secured to the leg 1/4-20 #7 drill tap the hole, make clearance on the other half so they slide over the all thread
works great.
Nice bench, Stant

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Hey ah, this looks really nice; solid and good materials. But, how does a shooter wiggle onto the seat? They look a bit close to the table and require a shooter to kind of "drop" onto them like a military "vertical envelopment"....?
Regardless - great job!

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Moss, you might want to consider a separate chair/seat (not attached to shooting bench) as mentioned above.

One advantage of an unattached seat is- it will be fully adjustable for each shooter. By that, young folks may need to move closer, an adult may need a bit more room so seat can be moved backwards. Even adults have different lengths of legs, different size of waist & upper body and different arm reach.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Since you are going to re-do the seats, you could always mount the seats so they slide back or forward like my commercial shooting bench is that I bought at Cabelas. Anyone can use it just a matter of unlocking the seat by loosening a knob and getting it into position and tightening the knob.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts