The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with my Ohio rode trip coming up in a few days and Pa season this weekend I've had a dilemma on how to harvest a turkey. Three months post shoulder surgery and I'm no where near were I had hoped to be. I bought a 50# Elite Energy to turkey hunt and can't hold it at anchor set at 42 pounds. I have an incision were they fixed a frayed bicep tendon were the stock of a shotgun sets so I figured shooting a 3 inch magnum righthanded wasn't real smart. So I have been practicing shooting my righthand shotgun lefthanded and having no problems hitting a target. Taking the safety off is a little awkward and I have to close my right eye because I'm right eye dominate, but looking forward to this long weekend of turkey hunting.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You can do it, so long as you practice to give you the confidence. If your shotgun has a behind the trigger guard cross bolt safety, just reach over the neck of the butt stock with you left hand and push the safety button.

Reactions: Pa.Bone

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
You`ll be fine Bone, I do everything right handed except shoot a scoped shotgun, rifle and my Compound those I shoot lefty as I am right eye dominant as well. My thumb safety is on the breach, in the heat of the moment when that big bird is sounding of and coming in, I`m sure you will have that safety off and ready.It only takes one shot anyway.....Good Luck this spring and let us know how it went. Here`s hoping that shoulder fells better for next archery season also....

Reactions: Pa.Bone

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Pa.Bone -

If you’re hitting the target in practice, you’re good to go barring any issues getting into “off” positions if you forsee birds coming from odd angles. About all I would recommend is testing yourself with a little bit of twist in your sight picture and ensure you can handle it. You’ll be all set.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will tell you the first shoot left handed about knocked my teeth out, it's a little odd at first getting your face down on the stock and aligning your beads with your left eye. My couple buddies have already killed some nice birds in Ohio and said turkey numbers look good and I suspect Pa. season should be good also. I have some good private land to hunt for turkey in Ohio locally, but plan on trying my luck camping and hunting the big public woods of Wayne National first.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Hey Larry if you wanna borrow my 935 your more then welcome to it. Its ready to go shooting great #’s using hevi shot #7 out of a Kicks GT choke. Its got a thumb release so that will take care of your safety problem. Let me know

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Larry if you wanna borrow my 935 your more then welcome to it. Its ready to go shooting great #’s using hevi shot #7 out of a Kicks GT choke. Its got a thumb release so that will take care of your safety problem. Let me know
Thanks for the offer Josh, but I'm going to just go with my 870. I've been shooting it lefthanded and doing ok.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I actually shot a gobbler a few years ago left handed. It went around behind me and I could hear it walking in the leaves to my right. I held the gun left handed and shot it when it stepped into my sights. I got the bird but it felt like i got punched in the face. Im not sure what happened but my nose and cheek were throbbing for a few minutes after the shot. Good luck on your hunting trip. I remember you saying that you are planning an archery hunt in the northern big woods this fall. It would be a nice time to go turkey hunt and scout for the fall.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Good Luck Bone!! I am hoping to hit Wayne on Sunday after hitting PA on Saturday.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I naturally shoot left handed ( do everything else righty) and I've been shooting a right handed 870 for as long as I've been shooting.
One of the best things I ever did for myself was to force myself to shoot right handed once in a while. I can set up for a left or right hand shot with total confidence either way.
No matter if I'm shooting right or left handed, I use two fingers to work the safety anyways. I ether push it with my thumb and catch it in my index, or push with my index and catch it in my thumb. No "click" that way!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts