The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i am on my 3rd 220 swift barrel but i shoot right around max loads and truly they can shoot a ragged hole all day, i try not to let any barrel heat-up but like any over bore caliber, shooting warm loads you will wash out the throat. i re-barrelled from 1400 to 2000 rounds in my last two and i have a little over 600 in my fresh tube. i know that doesn't sound like much but 1400 to 2000 rounds is alot of shooting with a bolt. i did some checking in my log book and the factory ruger varmint barrel was replaced at 1468 rounds, next was a E.R.SHAW bull barrel replaced 1984 rounds

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
there was a time for a few years when i was doing alot of benchrest shooting and testing rifle calibers for a gunsmith friend who was handi-capped, that i would send 3000 rounds a year downrange [out of different rifles of course.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
A lot of variables go into it. loading techniques(powder, bullet,pressures,etc...),how hot your pushing it, damaging the crown, improper cleaning, and quality of the barrel, etc, etc...

I'd venture to say that 2000 rds is the magical # for a factory barrel to start going south on a burner like the Swift. Could be sooner or could be much longer depending on the variables??

I once read that the Swift is "made to live fast and die young"

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
As long as you aren't shooting max loads, the Swift isn't probably going to burn out for most guys.

·
Registered
889 Posts
As stated above there are alot of considerations. However the better steel in today's barrels will make them last longer. And hand lapping can also help a little. Another trick if you are putting on a new barrel is go with a 28" barrel to start with. Then after so long have the barrel rechambered and set back a couple of inches. You can get anywhere fro 50% to 80% more life from the same barrel. Granted we are talking normal varmint hunting accuracy here. Tom.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Shooting a barrel out is an old term that refers to less then par steel that was used in the first building of rifle barrels when bullets became more then super sonic. The 220 swift is a fast round that would damage the early steel that was used back then. For the average shooter it will never happen but, as metioned above, for a shooter that wants exceptional accuracy and spends allot of time at the range this time period will be determined by the accuracy of the barrel itself, not the amount of rounds fired through the barrel.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
vapor trail said:
HUH........
Not sure what is to "HUH" about? I was very interested in the 220 swift round when I was younger and did a bunch of research into the round and especially into it "burning out a barrel" because I had heard this numerous times. After much research and reading books I learned that a 220 swift was given this "nickname" because of early steel that was used to make the barrels.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
gotcha, with the 4140 chrome moly steel barrel the throat was severely eroaded at 1984 rounds, i kept seating the bullets out futher and further until finally it gave up the ghost. the newer steel i assume gives you more life than say a pre-64 model 70 220swift. i chronographed my 53gr hollow point benchrest bullet load at 3892fps and it would shoot 10 shots into A hole at 100yds. and it's a horrible sight to behold when you turn a groundhog into a wet red fur rag at 400yds with a swift. i also push 55gr nolser ballistic tips a tad faster with same accuracy and devistation when it hit's the unfortunate...

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
vapor trail said:
Dutch, thats like having a corvette and never going over the speed limit... LOL
I have the ugliest Swift ever made. It was a 220 Arrow made in the '40's. Some years back, I rechambered for 220 Swift. It was a shooter as the Arrow and once rechambered got even better. I don't max it out, but it's clipping along better than 22-250 stuff.

Hate the gun, love the accuracy. Have rarely shot it in the last 10 years tho. Once killed a hog at 600 yds with it. Has a special memory to it......

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Barrels go in two stages: the fine accuracy goes first and slowly, most people don't notice it (throat erosion) The second stage is wild shooting 2-4 inch groups, this occurs after a large number of rounds but seems to happen over night.

I've only shot out one CF. It took 32 years, 308 bolt gun with about 14,000 rounds thru it.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Here is the last group I shot with my "ugly" Swift.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Waterfowl Freak said:
Hey Dutch.

Is that with factory ammo?
Handloads. Don't even ask me what powder bullet combo anymore as I forget. Might be 4350. Not fast, but it shoots!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts