The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if any of you practice left handed (opposite your normal)? Since I ground hunt out of a blind a lot, seems like it would be an asset to learn.

·
Registered
19,662 Posts
I do but I can never get comfortable doing it. I have yet to shoot one left handed but I do practice it just in case the need arises.

·
Registered
12,363 Posts
I have practiced it some, but like dpms said it isn't very comfortable. I would prefer to move a little and still shoot right handed.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
After my first sit in the stand. I realized that a shot to my far right would be difficult. I practiced the next day shooting left handed to see if POI changed or there were any issues. I ound that I could do it if needed.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Thank God for "left-barricade", "right-barricade" qualification shooting in the military!

Though I am by no means Hawkeye shooting southpaw, and would be choosy on a shot from that end, I believe if a worthy buck gave me the opportunity, I would take it!

·
Registered
836 Posts
The one buck I shot a few years back was with my opposite side. He was close and came in from behind me and I couldn't move a lot, thankfully it worked out. I don't practice shooting opposite a lot but growing up left handed doing things right handed doesn't feel that uncomfortable. I don't think I would want to take a far shot unless I did more practicing.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Sure it can be done..i shoot both left and right...my brother inlaw lost his eye sight in his right eye 3 years and has shot left handed and has killed 2 bucks the last two seasons....he killed one this morning also...so it just takes alot of practice...but it can be done...

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
This is my 1st year with a crossbow and I have been practicing both left and right hand shooting. On the target range I am confident, just need a good size deer to execute the practice plan.

I shoot regular bow lefthanded, but do everything else right
handed. I am confident that I can make the shot with either right or left given the opportunity.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I'm right-handed but learned to shoot rifle, pistol, or shotgun with either hand as a kid. My dad was left handed. I prefer to shoot left-handed even though I'm right-eye dominant. Most of my guns have a tang safety that I can use comfortably with either hand. IMHO it's a huge advantage to be able to switch the gun to the other hand when needed for a shot. It's worked for me on several occasions for turkey, deer, and predators. If you are naturally RH'd, it's not that hard to shoot LH'd because you have more strength and dexterity in you right hand to hold and maneuver the gun or crossbow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts