The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How early will a turkey gobble on the roost? Lets say you are either using a crow or a owl locator call. How early will they respond?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
They will gobble when still in the tree and dark. I wait and see if they will sound off on their own before I use a locator call. The only turkey call I will use while he is still in the tree is a very low tree-call just to let him know I'm over here when you fly down. Come over here big boy!

·
Super Moderator
24,075 Posts
The first gobble I heard this morning was at 5:45am

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
No need to use a locator when they are on the roost. They gobble on their own each and every morning as its breaking day. If they aren't gobbling at will, they probably won't answer an owl hooter anyhow.

·
Registered
554 Posts
bigbear said:
No need to use a locator when they are on the roost. They gobble on their own each and every morning as its breaking day. If they aren't gobbling at will, they probably won't answer an owl hooter anyhow.
Owl hooting is a must before day light for true run and gunners

·
Registered
819 Posts
bigbear said:
Ive had birds be totally silent until i used a owl/crow call. AFTER I tried a few tree yelps with no response the one morning, i brought my crow call out, instantly gobbled back both times i did it. After that 2 gobblers fired up and answered everything, flew down, came into range, then picked off the Jr hunter I was helping out and taught him a lesson of why you dont just move lol.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Like Moss said, turkeys are gobbling at 5:45 with owl hoots and around 6:00 they start gobbling on their own.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
jayson2984 said:
bigbear said:
Owl hooting is a must before day light for true run and gunners
I hope thats a joke.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
TurkeyBoy17 said:
bigbear said:
Ive had birds be totally silent until i used a owl/crow call. AFTER I tried a few tree yelps with no response the one morning, i brought my crow call out, instantly gobbled back both times i did it. After that 2 gobblers fired up and answered everything, flew down, came into range, then picked off the Jr hunter I was helping out and taught him a lesson of why you dont just move lol.
Was this all on public land? The last 12 gobblers I've killed on public land and didn't use a locator on any of them. I was out listening on some public land yesterday to a gobbler who was gobbling sporadically, when a guy pulled up a few hundred yards away, blew his hooter, nothing answered, jumped back in an took off.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use an owl hoot when it's still dark out. I don't see what it would hurt? But just because I don't hear a gobble in response doesn't mean there aren't turkeys around. I crow call when it's more light than dark. I agree, gobbling on their own around 6 AM

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
Little off topic here but I know of guys that have killed turkeys exclusively by making them shock gobble.

It is not a tactic that I have ever used or would ever use and could very well be illegal according to the rules.

The idea is that you have a gobbler that is locked in his strut zone with his hens. He will gobble at everything you throw at him, yelps, crow calls, hawk screeches, woodpecker calls, owl hoots, etc. They put their turkey calls away and continue to get the gobbler to shock gobble at them. They are able to keep him sounding off and determine exactly when he has reached the far end of his strut route and then they move in to withing range of the closest point of his strut route.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
They most always gobble on the roost but, not always. If and when my natural shock locators won't work, a Ferocious Shock locator most always will, not always. Call it unconventional but, don't dismiss it's ability to get a response. By roosting them in the evening, a hunter has no need to locate them before light.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I've occasionally heard birds gobble as early as 4:00 am while hiking in. That 's extraordinary though. An early gobbler like that is often alone and desperate for some company. I call them "suicide" birds . I prefer to let birds sound off before i do anything, but if grey light arrives with no gobbling I will give a couple hoots but not overdo it. If still nothing I will crow call as it gets closer to sunrise and if still nothing I might gobble or cutt excitedly or do a fly down. All those sounds have elicited gobbles for me in the past.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts