The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one that hunts dogs without them? Maybe I have been lucky but none of my dogs (english setter or gsp) has ever needed one. Once in a great while if I hunt public land she might get a little anxious but for the most part neither dog ever ran more then 30 yards from me.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I would call it an (e-collar) and there a great training aid. Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I rarely run an e-collar but do if danger exists or if a dog needs reenforcement of actions it understands.
When daily control, capital C, becomes the reason for an e-collar, then something is amiss.

My three setters will all work to the distance delivered by birds or cover but the occassional 1/4 mile on a loop would seem a poor reason to automatically reach for voltage.
30 yards?......yikes.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I rerely have to use my e-collar on my setter, however, if I need it, it is there and it works. It only takes one time when you can't stop a dog and something bad happens to make them worth having.

·
Registered
380 Posts
i have one on my chessie every time we are out, seldom do i use it but at this point she get excited when she sees it knowing its time to hunt!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
ChrisPhilly said:
Not that I'm against them but at some point I feel the dog should be weened off of it.
What is your reasoning for them needing to be weened off of them if you are not against them?

It is neither a punishing device or a crutch for improper training. Without one, every dog is only as reliable at obeying any given command as the dog wishes to be. Some are better at it than others. One with a collar obeys 100% of the time if it has been trained properly and the owner requires it.

Most dogs that have been trained on a collar are far better behaved in the field than dogs who haven't been. The reason why is because they have become used to listening and obeying every command because if they don't, their is a correction. Most all dogs who have been trained on a collar can be worked without it after a few years of hunting with one but most owners chose not too due to safety reasons for the dogs.

The collar is the same as a leash, check cord, or any other training device. It is something that can help to reinforce a properly taught command.

·
Registered
944 Posts
In the hound world I call them electric brakes....when your dog heads for the hills hot on the trail of an off game you are glad you have it on!!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
My setters start wearing them before 6 months of age and wear them every time they are turned loose for the rest of their lives. Also they probably are not 30 yards close unless I am gathering them up. My oldest dog died last year and wore a collar his entire life!!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I don't use one on my dogs. I'm not against them but I just never got one. I don't know much about them or using them and I think misuse of an e-collar could create problems that I couldn't fix. It may be something I look into if I want to get my next dog more steady.

I recently finished reading an article in pointing dog journal about George Tracy from PA and who is in the bird dog hall of fame. He saw the e-collar used once and decided it wasn't for him. I guess the use of an e-collar is up to the trainer/owner and there is no right or wrong answer for using them if it is done right.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You are right, misuse of an e-collar can riun a dog but so can chasing a dog around and then beating it when you finally get it corraled. The collar is used to correct a dog for not obeying a command that it already knows, not to teach a command. I can easily see why people have an adversion to e-collars based on what I saw when they first arrived on the scene. I saw people hit the dogs ion the highest settings, if there even were settings and the dogs would yelp and cry every time. It turned me off enough to say I would never use one. However after seeing themused correctly years later I would not be without one now.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
You are right about the first one and I think they were the A170's. Had to let the batteries run down to be able to use them on youngsters. We left them on all night before the day worked the derbies!!
Today's electronics are like magic wands in the hands of today's trainers. You can now watch a wild eyed werewolf become a well mannered young man in a matter of months with today's tools!!
I'm working with one now that was over stimulated and she is just 2 years old now. Slowly but surely her confidence is coming back. Kind of reminds me of the days before we had elctronics because I really can't use them on her yet. She wears a collar everytime she is worked but I have used it sparingly. Hopefully we can overcome the misuse because she really is a piece of art when she does it right.
We will see because that scar tissue is a tough thing to overcome.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I believe you. Confusing a dog is a recipe for failure.

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
My setter ALWAYS wears it in the field, but I have not pressed the button in years.

I think its kinda like my electric underground fence. He doesn't even test that thing anymore since learning his boundaries. Elec fence and elec collar are training aids. Once a dog is trained, you will rarely if ever need it. But it doesn't hurt to have it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Carl Bergen said:
Don't know how old the Tracy article is but it is not current as his whole family uses them now.
The article is new but I'd bet the comment was made a long time ago when the collars were new on the scene.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I hunt with treedogs, so i might be a little different. But I will use them on a young dog until he/she has proven to me that they can be hunted without one. Once that happens 99% of the time they will never be hunted with one again. If i have a dog that can't prove to me that they can't be hunted without one, they don't stick around here long.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My beagles don't get cut loose without them. Haven't had an off game chase in a few years. But it's like the old permit to carry argument, I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I use them, great tool if used properly as others have stated.

Dogs usually get excited when they see them because they know they're going to the field!!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts