The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
are you driving home or flying? if driving get a uhaul trailer and some coolers and dry ice to pack it in and head for home.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's a great idea but i'm looking to get elk meat home that is just frozen not
cured. i checked with fed ex and for 200LBs it would be 8-9 hundred bucks.
that's crazy.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Are you planning for the future or trying to get last seasons meat home now? If planning for the future, fly Southwest (first two bags free) then buy the Southwest-approved cardboard meat boxes for $10 a piece, and fill with with 45 lbs meat, 5 lbs dry ice. I've been doing this for the past 15 years and never had a problem and usually don't spend more than $100 per elk to get it home.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow thats great info, I'm working on plans to head out this year for 1st rifle,
near steam boat i checked a few ways and the prices i got are totally out of line,

·
Super Moderator
29,157 Posts
IMO Flying saves time, driving saves headaches.

·
Registered
52,306 Posts
I always thought if I went out, get a small freezer, trailer it out and take a small generator,would not trust shipping by air or express.....

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
huntnut said:
that's a great idea but i'm looking to get elk meat home that is just frozen not
cured. i checked with fed ex and for 200LBs it would be 8-9 hundred bucks.
that's crazy.
My post was not ment for you to send it, it was ment for you to look at to use another idea to help keep the meat frozen on the way home!

As has been mentioned, a cooler or small chest freezer with dry ice...

Add onto that having the meat Frozen them packaged in something to keep versa foam off it, pack it in versa foam frozen, pack that box in a chest freezer or cooler with dry ice packed around it and No worries of it thawing and being rotted by the time you get it home!

The more insulation you have around it, the better your chances are it will stay frozen or nearly frozen till you get home!

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
We have a trailer and home made coolers inside if it. Have a small hole in botton to drain. Place meat inside and pack with ice works real good. Also we put all of our geer in it so the guys who fly only has to go to airport with just them selves.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
if the meat is already wrapped and froze you wont have a problem. layer newspaper dry ice and meat in a good cooler. dryice on bottom newspaper then meat. newspaper dryice and more newspaper on top. this should keep it frozen til you get home. this can be done if you are driving home. hopefully you will get home within a couple days. my father in law did this and took meat to the outer banks in the summer and the meat stayed frozen.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the feedback we've been out west as a group a couple of us drive and a. Lille flew it was awesome as everything goes things change
So this year I planning on doing it solo so there is A lot more cost involved

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
When I came back from MT last fall I boxed up my clothes that I didnt need and sent them home in the mail. I stuffed 50 pounds of frozen meat and gear into my bag and sent that on the plane. I then took my backpack (Badlands 2200) and completely filled it with frozen elk meat, probably about 80 pounds worth and took that as my carry on.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I typically fly the meat home under the airplane from CO. I have the butcher flash freeze to a rock and pull it out at last minute before heading to the airport. I have bought some excellent, lockable, hardplastic storage containers for $15/each from walmart that work perfectly. U have to pay of course for the "extra bags" to the airline. Keep in mind every airline has weight limits (and container size dimension limits) per "bag" before a huge jump in price.....and each has their own RULES ON USING DRYICE. Some airlines are ok w/ the use, some prohibit, some are ok w/ it but they want you to pay a "hazard fee" which can be very expensive. When u can, ship in dry ice. Important to note that some airlines will only let u use 5lbs per container, etc. I have shipped w/o it and the meat is fine as well as long as your meat is rock hard before u start, flight times, layovers, etc are reasonable.

Taking several under 50lb versus 1 at 100 lbs is often cheaper, just ck with the airline on limits and pricing and do the math on the cheapest way. I also take the very best cuts of meat in my carry on backpack. again, ck on limits for your carry on, think it was under 50lbs last i looked which is a decent amnt of weight, i simply use my daypack that i hunt with to be my carry on item.

Keep in mind, airlines can lose or misplace luggage, you take that chance when u use the airline (that's why the best cuts are w/ me). Some people feel weird about walking around w/ all that meat on their pack from plane to plane, going through security, etc but CO airports are more than use to hunters so they typically give you very little trouble. Once you are in then, you are good to go.

·
Super Moderator
29,157 Posts
Around 1979 or 80, my brother did a month long trip to Alaska. He shot a bull moose in the first week, and air freighted the meat home. My Dad and I picked it up from Allentown airport with no issues, and the meat was still mostly froze. He shot a caribou in the last week that he brought as checked baggage. His flight home had a layover in Chicago. When he got home the baggage was missing, he was told that it's in cold storage in Chicago. Next day he got a call that it was on a flight to LA, followed by a call that his baggage was now on a flight to Tokyo! He finally got it back a week later, still frozen. It was in Chicago the whole time.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
rmh181 said:
I typically fly the meat home under the airplane from CO. I have the butcher flash freeze to a rock and pull it out at last minute before heading to the airport. I have bought some excellent, lockable, hardplastic storage containers for $15/each from walmart that work perfectly. U have to pay of course for the "extra bags" to the airline. Keep in mind every airline has weight limits (and container size dimension limits) per "bag" before a huge jump in price.....and each has their own RULES ON USING DRYICE. Some airlines are ok w/ the use, some prohibit, some are ok w/ it but they want you to pay a "hazard fee" which can be very expensive. When u can, ship in dry ice. Important to note that some airlines will only let u use 5lbs per container, etc. I have shipped w/o it and the meat is fine as well as long as your meat is rock hard before u start, flight times, layovers, etc are reasonable.

Taking several under 50lb versus 1 at 100 lbs is often cheaper, just ck with the airline on limits and pricing and do the math on the cheapest way. I also take the very best cuts of meat in my carry on backpack. again, ck on limits for your carry on, think it was under 50lbs last i looked which is a decent amnt of weight, i simply use my daypack that i hunt with to be my carry on item.

Keep in mind, airlines can lose or misplace luggage, you take that chance when u use the airline (that's why the best cuts are w/ me). Some people feel weird about walking around w/ all that meat on their pack from plane to plane, going through security, etc but CO airports are more than use to hunters so they typically give you very little trouble. Once you are in then, you are good to go.
We do very close to the same exept we have 4 - 40 ish quart coolers.
We use as suitcases on the way out and then ship our clothes home fedex in cardboard boxes.
This is quite inexpensive compared to extra baggage charges.
We then have the meat processed and hard frozen.
Pack the frozen meat to the airline weight limit it in the now empty coolers lined with heavy duty trash bags, This part really helps seal the cold in.
These coolers become our checked bags, no dry ice necessary. They will stay hard frozen for several days.
In fact in this years hunt the airline lost the coolers and we got them back 48 hours later and all was still rock hard.

We also put some in our backpacks and carry on.
Doing this with 1 elk and the 2 of us flying, we get most of the elk meat home, might leave some burger to donate but that's about it.

John L

1 - 20 of 28 Posts