The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get the lowest shipping costs of ammo online? It seems everyone wants over 15 dollars a box???

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
That's because of UPS and hazmat charges, etc.......I occasionally sell ammo, and it's a shame that it costs me over $10 to send a fellow a $14 box of ammo....The answer...Buy bulk..It costs nearly the same to send two boxes as it does one box.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Didn't think hazmat charges applied to loaded ammo and UPS, unless its changed, should just need to be marked as ORM-D (other regulated material-domestic).

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Big Ken said:
That's because of UPS and hazmat charges, etc.......I occasionally sell ammo, and it's a shame that it costs me over $10 to send a fellow a $14 box of ammo....The answer...Buy bulk..It costs nearly the same to send two boxes as it does one box.
good advice there. Theres no way around ORM-D shipping rates, although someplaces do tack on a few dollars more. Shop around and put it in your cart on multiple sites until you find the cheapest shiiping rates for what you want.

·
Registered
893 Posts
UPS does not charge more for shipping loaded ammo.
15 pounds of bricks in a box 8x8x8 costs the same as 15 pounds of loaded ammo in same size box.
Powder and primers get the hazmat charge , NOT loaded ammo.
You do need a special orm-d sticker , they have those at the central hubs which is the only UPS place ammo can be shipped from.
Buying in bulk reduces the cost per box on the shipment of ammo , so buy big.
Edited to say , you will sometimes find a UPS worker that does not know their job.
In that case have them call their UPS office hazmat number and their office will explain it to the worker.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
BrownTrout said:
Big Ken said:
good advice there. Theres no way around ORM-D shipping rates, although someplaces do tack on a few dollars more. Shop around and put it in your cart on multiple sites until you find the cheapest shiiping rates for what you want.
Don't understand orm-d rates??? that is just federal required labeling and can be done with a marker. I never had to pay more for shipping ammo UPS ground.

I just went to Midway and created 2 shipments, one with a set of 308 dies, one with a box of loaded 308 bullets. The total shipping for the dies was 8.43, the bullets were 7.83. No extra charges right up to the end of payment.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Like he told you above UPS charges the same rates, what I was referring to is different ammo sites will charge you different amounts. They all vary some. Some stick it to you on shipping charges.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
No problem. Midway ships loaded ammo without any Hazmat fees. I think others are adding it an pocketing theat fee. I got two orders of ammo this month. just regular shipping.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
BrownTrout said:
Like he told you above UPS charges the same rates, what I was referring to is different ammo sites will charge you different amounts. They all vary some. Some stick it to you on shipping charges.
Not sure what "he" you are referring to, "I" originally posted there were no extra charges by ups for ammo then you followed with "good advice" to a contradictory post:
That's because of UPS and hazmat charges, etc.......
There are no ups hazmat charges on small amounts of small arms ammunition.

You also responded:
Theres no way around ORM-D shipping rates,
There are no orm-d rates on small amounts of small arms ammunition via ups ground. orm-d is a federal classification that applies to a lot more things than ammo.

Of course different places charge different rates on items they sell, free marketplace. But there are no extra hazmat or orm-d shipping charges to the seller due to it being ammo. There is one MAJOR way around ORM-D shipping rates, choose any of the sellers that don't charge for a non-existant fee.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Even though all of the above is true, shipping rates are still crazy...I went to ship a small box this morning with just one box of 22 shells in it...UPS ground--$10+.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I like to order from Midway. But they just charge too much for shipping. Any small order with them that includes ammo is $14 to $15. Whether it is 1 box of ammo. Or 20 boxes of ammo.

They can only ship ammo by UPS. USPS will not ship ammo. And USPS is cheaper than UPS, so that is a main reason you are paying more for ammo.

There is no HAZMAT fee for ammo. Tom.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I remember when Midway first got started, shipping was free..That, on top of the great monthly bargains and Midway was THE place to go for reloading stuff....Not any more !

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Sad. I loved those monthly fliers, and the no shipping...the price you see is the price you paid.

I use to buy hunting and fishing clothes at L.L. BEAN ...no tax, no postage.

ah, the good old days!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
No HAZMAT fee on loaded ammo, like others have said. Simply the cost for shipping anything of that weight.

I wish priority mail would ship ammo, but they wont. That flat rate shipping would be the ticket.

And check out Midsouth Shooting Supplies. Great prices on ammo makes it worth shipping. Midway has deals at times, but you have to watch.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Got my receipt from Midway for last weeks shippment:

3-boxes of Norma loaded ammo 196gr 8mm
1- Millet tactical scope 30mm 4-16x50 with sunshade
1- case reamer foster
1-8 oz can of Kroil oil

Shipping $7.59
NRA round-up $1.68

that shipping seems quite fair. Especially if you figure the tax in Pa would have been $26!!! The scope in the box weighed over 3#.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts