The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to my friends in North Dakota in a few weeks and plan on hunting pheasants. My questions is, is it legal to ship my shotgun either FedEx or UPS to him in advance so I don't have to check it in at the airport?

·
Registered
284 Posts
if you mention its a gun, say "gun parts" because then if you say " its just a shotgun im sending out so we can go shooting" 9 times out of 10 the teller is going to refuse it.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
They can't refuse it. Don't have the link handy but print out the regs and take them with you to the shipper. We ship guns all the time at work. USPS is the easiest.

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
We had a post master here for years, that refused to ship long guns for anyone that wasn't an FFL holder.

That was his personal interpretation of USPS regs and no one could shake him on it. Yet several other local POs would ship long guns with no issues.

Not even a shipping label for a pre-approved return to a warranty repair facility, would change his mind. If someone wasn't an FFL, he would not send a long gun.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You will have no problem if you send it to a FFL near the location of your hunt. Be sure it is well packed in a solid container, like a poly gun case. I have had issues with the USPS on guns broken in transit.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Send it to yourself c/o your friend...

Break the gun down and wrap the pieces in bubble wrap so it cannot move around inside the case and pack enough filler material in the outer box so the case can't move around....

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
DennyF said:
We had a post master here for years, that refused to ship long guns for anyone that wasn't an FFL holder.

That was his personal interpretation of USPS regs and no one could shake him on it. Yet several other local POs would ship long guns with no issues.

Not even a shipping label for a pre-approved return to a warranty repair facility, would change his mind. If someone wasn't an FFL, he would not send a long gun.
Does he still have his job? With a guy like that I would have just kept going up the chain until he was educated or replaced.

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
Yep, still has a job. "Promoted" to a larger PO.

After he'd left our PO, I went in and asked about shipping a rifle (that I'd sold to a member here).

The gals at the counter gave me two of the large triangular USPS boxes and some labels, said go for it - because "[bleep] isn't here anymore"

But we decided just to meet halfway and do the deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts