The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been talked about before but I am getting lots of mixed information. I was told a PA resident can send a long gun to another PA resident with USPS.
USPS website says yes, ATF website also says yes but when I call my local post office they tell me NO. I then called the 1-800 number for USPS and they say yes. Has any one else had to deal with this?

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
You can. Your local post master is either anti gun, or simply doesn't know the rules. Have them call the 1 800 number while you're standing there, then, when they are told you're allowed to ship it, politely ship your gun.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
You certainly can. Reference USPS code, section 11. There is a system of reporting misconduct for federal employees.
Ask the regional director to give your anti-gun postmaster a call, that usually sets a weasel straight. You can pull up the USPS code on a smart phone, if he needs to read it with you, LOL!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Joe the Logger said:
You certainly can. Reference USPS code, section 11. There is a system of reporting misconduct for federal employees.
Ask the regional director to give your anti-gun postmaster a call, that usually sets a weasel straight. You can pull up the USPS code on a smart phone, if he needs to read it with you, LOL!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, I called the 800 number and told them my local post office told me that they would not. A few hours later I got a call from the local post office saying they will.
On the first call the post office was insisting I could not. You hit the nail on the head, they are anti gun.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
sometimes it just an anti-gun employee or someone that is unfamiliar with firearms that freaks out. I ship out of my local post office. Shortly after Sandy Hook I went in too ship a gun and the college age kid behind the counter freaked out. The rifle was packaged in a Ruger box and sealed up with tape. He kept saying to the other worker behind him, "he has a gun", after he said this a couple times the other worker said, yep its legal to ship them. The idiot behind the counter insisted that it wasn't. People in line started to give me all sorts of looks for holding up the line and having an gun to ship. The kid called out the manager and she informed him in front of everybody that it is perfectly legal to ship a long rifle in PA resident to resident. He then turned and looked at me and said, "well okay but is it completely disassembled". I said sure it is. Some people just don't have a clue. I have since shipped more from there and haven't had a problem. Though I haven't seen bright boy either since that little exchange.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes it is perfectly legal to mail a long gun from a PA resident to a PA resident. I think it is still a good idea to use an FFL on the other end, but it is not required

1 - 8 of 8 Posts