The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Shipping a firearm?

1K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Renny28 
#1 ·
Are there any restrictions on shipping a long gun to a individual? Everything I find on the net seems to say its legal. Has anyone ever had any issues?

#4 ·
I have to disagree.
a private individual can only ship a fire arm to a licensed FFL or the manufacturer. while in PA you can sell long guns FTF shipping them is not legal between private party's.

#5 ·
<span style="font-weight: bold">DRAGMAN, YOU ARE WRONG</span>. End of story
Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm <span style="font-weight: bold">to a non-licensed resident of another State</span>. <span style="font-weight: bold">A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State </span>or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm
here it is in writing, end of story it is perfectly legal to ship within ones own state.

#7 ·
wont be the last time I am wrong. but I still wont do it. I called the ATF about it a few years back and got a completely different response and have been abiding by that.

#8 ·
I am wrong quite consistently as well
, however was educated on this matter by another member quite some years ago and it is perfectly legal. I have had to have 2 different postmasters pull their rule books and read to me where it states that it is illegal, while they were trying to find the rule that does not exist, I pulled the atfs website and showed them.....red faced they took my package and shipped it.

#9 ·
I am defiantly wrong on this, My only problem would be what happens if say the child of the receiving party or someone who isn't supposed to get it does??? wouldn't previous owner still be liable in this day in age.

#10 ·
I will also add this from the ATF website:

Who may ship handguns through the U.S. Postal Service?

Federal firearm licensees may send an unloaded handgun in the mail to another FFL in customary trade shipments. Handguns also may be mailed to any officer, employee, agent, or watchman who is eligible under 18 U.S.C. 1715 to receive pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person for use in connection with his or her official duties.

However, postal service regulations must be followed. Any person proposing to mail a handgun must file with the postmaster, at the time of mailing, an affidavit signed by the addressee stating that the addressee is qualified to receive the firearm, and the affidavit must bear a certificate stating that the firearm is for the official use of the addressee. See the current Postal Manual for details.

The Postal Service recommends that all firearms be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. (See also questions “May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?” and “May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?”)

#12 ·
although some will tell you different, it is on the receiving individual to make sure he or she has the ability to legally own a rifle, the only way the shipper can get in any trouble is if he <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">knowingly</span></span> ships to someone who is legally unable to own a gun

#13 ·
erinreed said:
Kyle, Send away, use the Cross Roads post office, it is the only one around that will not give you crap. perfectly legal as long as you stay in pa. If you have any other questions call me. lenny
Last year my own local post office refused to ship a rifle for me in-state..Told me it was "not allowed"!...I told them it isn't so...The lady called two other local post offices and they didn't know, so the lady refused to ship it for me....So I ended up driving 20 miles to ship the rifle through a private shipping store which cost me a fortune..As soon as I got home, the post office called me back and told me that they found that they were, indeed, allowed to ship long guns, and to bring mine back....Too late, I went somewhere else...Sad when a postmaster doesn't know his own rules..I though you had to pass a test to get that job!

#14 ·
Mailing long guns is perfectly legal.

I, and several others, have had long guns sent to us through the USPS to our APO addresses. Once in a while the person shipping had problems with their local post office. But a copy of the USPS' own regulations and a brief conversation with their Postmaster put an end to that.

#15 ·
Perfectly legal. We have rehashed it here several times.
I posted the Federal Postal code section previously. Its worth educating all again so here goes.
If you are refused at a US Post office, ask for the supervisor. Politely let them know you are not leaving until you speak to one, in person or on the phone.
Reference section 11 of the USPC. You can even pull it up on a smartphone for them if they say they can't.
We all know education is critical to gun rights.
The US Postal system is polluted with Anti's, and even a little authority often goes to peoples heads. Let them know you know better, prove it if you need to, in a nice manner.

#16 ·
Joe the Logger said:
Perfectly legal. We have rehashed it here several times.
I posted the Federal Postal code section previously. Its worth educating all again so here goes.
If you are refused at a US Post office, ask for the supervisor. Politely let them know you are not leaving until you speak to one, in person or on the phone.
Reference section 11 of the USPC. You can even pull it up on a smartphone for them if they say they can't.
We all know education is critical to gun rights.
The US Postal system is polluted with Anti's, and even a little authority often goes to peoples heads. Let them know you know better, prove it if you need to, in a nice manner.
This is probably the best response to this question I have ever read.

Excellent Job!

And good advice as well.

#17 ·
I know I've read it here before and I searched it and even went back 30 pages or so and couldn't find anything. The deal I had just fell through because the guy doesn't want to deal with the legality of it and I'm doing all the dang leg work to make it painless and as cheap as possible.

Thanks for all the help guys!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.