The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been checking a spot where I have harvested sheepshead mushrooms before. Last year there were none but upon checking last Friday I found it fruiting. I'll post photos later.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Im in exactly the same boat as you. They are starting to pop, I had to take a small one for sampling though. LOL

·
Registered
107 Posts
I took a walk this morning and had a very good day. Picked 8 sheepshead. Found 24 that are small, about the size of my fist. I will let them go til the end of the week. I found 11 growing on one tree.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yep, the land we lease is really swampy and there are shrooms everywhere, some I've never even seen before.

I found about 5 sheepshead today, picked the big one and let the others grow (marked the spots of course!).

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took these on Sunday. Didn't pick any. Will check on them tomorrow to see if they are getting bigger.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I checked one tree today that tradionally makes later sheephead, and found that 5 had been cut already...and 5 little "sports" as i call them were petalled out so i cut those..then checked a stump that i usually get mushrooms on second week of october and found 6 really nice ones..i didnt take a picture...

But They are definetally alittle earlier then normal. i rarely find sheep head this earlier..let alone..someone cutting them off my trees this early! lol

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Bull Lifter,are you doing you picking around Murrysville in Westmoreland county.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts