The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out today and found quite a few about softball size,I would say by sat.they will be ready for picking.It seems like its gonna be a good year,some by rotted stumps and some by large white oaks,start looking guys.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was out today and cut 3 ramsheads and left 9 other ones that need some growing yet , was also out on Sunday and goy one about 12 pounds and left 6 more to grow !!

" Live For Today As Tomorrow Is Promised To No One "

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nut; that sounds encouraging. as soon as I get some carrots jarred and the wife gets home from work were goin lookin. We've had luck with sulphur shelf and some bearded tooth so far but no sheeps. We checked our sheeps trail last Fri. the 18th with no luck. The trail takes about 6 hours covering a large area here in SW Pa. I'll post what we find.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I found one of these today on a ten inch red oak stump. The mushroom seemed like it was about the size of a baseball. How long before it gets big?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nut, ok wife and I found 4 that would go 3 to 5 pound each. Thats a good start but I know the best is yet to come. Didn't find any that I would let go for another day but whats dissapointing is two of our best trees fell. they fell across the township dirt road and were completely dug up and removed. No bearded toothes but found a little more sulfur shelf that was tender enough to pick. I am simmering those in chicken broth now, then I'll bread them and deep fry. I'm sangin tomorrow.

·
Registered
736 Posts
It seems like a good year so far in NW Pa. I've picked three so far and left 13 small ones. They seem to be growing even though there has been very little rain lately. The temps must be just right.

·
Registered
269 Posts
freebird , i know how you feel , i always got a large ramshead the last week of august but the same happened to me and the tree fell over and could not find one this year but have found several new ones so far but they are small! i am going out tomorrow to check on several i found sunday will let you know how they are doing , also i have found a good number of stumpies so far and a friend called me today to tell me he got a large bag full today!!!!!!!

" Live For Today As Tomorrow Is Promised To No One "

1 - 12 of 12 Posts