The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have any pictures of Sheepsheads?

Also are they any poisonous shrooms they look like?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't care who you are ... That right there is funny

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it normal for Sheepsheads to turn the water black when you soak them over night?

I put some in salt water for a few hours and the water was black ... And they did not have any dirt on them ... just some small bugs ... seems like the black came out of the shrooms?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These are the mushroom in question ... After seeing the other pictures folks have posted ... I think they are Sheepshead ... What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I would say those are some nice sheepheads also I never had sheepheads turn the water black but I don't put salt in water when I soak them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry I should have also indcated ... The first batch I found turned the water black ... I think they were those Giant Polyps ... These ones pictured here looked a little different from them and did not turn the water black last night ... I think I found Sheepshead

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Those are NOT Sheephead. Those are a Polypore. You can eat them, but not real sure of the taste. When you think Sheephead, always think "round". ALMOST every single one will grow in what one would think of as a roundish shape. Maybe as big as a softball, mabe a basketball, maybe even bigger than that, but think round.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fleroo said:
Those are NOT Sheephead. Those are a Polypore. You can eat them, but not real sure of the taste. When you think Sheephead, always think "round". ALMOST every single one will grow in what one would think of as a roundish shape. Maybe as big as a softball, mabe a basketball, maybe even bigger than that, but think round.

Odd ... I have had 7 people in person (off line) say they think they are Sheepheads also???

They tasted great

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Opportune words "they think". I reckon it could be hard to discern from pictures, and maybe those "leaflets" just appear larger than what typically is found on your average sheephead. Just be sure to get confirmation from a reputable source prior to consuming.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Look at the picture i posted,some of the leafs are larger than others. I still say those are sheepheads,compare a pictures of a polypore to Nikdob pictures.Try these polyporus,Meripilus Giganteus or polyporus umbellatus.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts