The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an old white oak that consistently puts out a good harvest of sheep! These were all from one tree. I put a 16 oz tea bottle in the mix for reference. How do you guys prep yours? I put them in a cooler overnight filled with water to loosen some of the organic debris and bugs from them, then I break them apart the next day, and from here, I have done two things and I'm not quite sure which is the best. I have blanched them and then shrink / freezer wrapped them, and I have also skipped the blanching and just froze them. How do you guys like to process them?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Dang nice harvest there! I can't help you other than I've heard just wash and freeze. Don't blanch them. And don't defrost. Heat the oil, grab a bag from the freezer and dump the frozen shrooms right into the oil.

I found six on one tree today. Right next to my deer stand in southern huntingdon county. Picked four left two for seed. Our arms were full. Three were 6-8 pounds. The biggest was 13 pounds! Enough to fill the freezer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have always just soaked for a few hours cut up and washed and right into a food saver bag and freezer. That is a great producing tree, my favorite tree only gives about half of that a year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts