The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Log em here guys! The time is almost upon us. I found some last year that were dead on September 18th! Let's do it up with pictures and info! I will post anything I find. So get

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Can't wait to hear about them.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Last I heard was heavy rain here (SW PA) on Friday with temps around 70 for the weekend. If that holds true, my guess is that you can start finding some early next week.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Can't wait to find some this year. New property I'm hunting is pretty marshy/damp and has TONS of different mushrooms growing everywhere, many I've never seen before. I don't know if that will correlate to finding sheepheads, but I hope it does!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'll be sangin this weekend, an area where i have found sheepshead, bears tooth, sulphur shelf and otheres, i'll let you know. My area missed the rain the other nite, i think its way too dry yet. here anyways,

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
We got hit with a good rain the other day so I hit my best sheephead spots on Thursday,still way to dry and nothing growing at all.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I found 4 the size of baseballs this morning. I watered them. I also found one the same size that was completely dried up. We need rain badly in NE Ohio.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I found a nice one today that was all dried up.

I also found some aborted and unaborted entolomas.

no papinkies yet.....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Went for a quick walk today and located my 1st ramshead today and picked it as it was a real nice solid one , no bugs at all!!!!!!! Have 2 more growing one is real small so I will check on it next week but they are calling for warmer weather once again, which bugs them up quick.

" Live For Today As Tomorrow Is Promised To No One "

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found one yesterday but it was buggy! My Father in law got a decent one last week and left another smaller one for seed.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I found one yesterday too. A nice one. We left about 13 small ones. There were 10 little ones around one tree but another shroomer knows the spot. We could see where he had trampled down the brush. My Uncle picked 10 this week.

Aborted entolomas are just starting to come up and we found a couple honey mushrooms and bearheads too.

·
Registered
274 Posts
great job. I love the pics. i take them also but never took the time to figure how to post them. i know there's instructions. My wife and i went this mornin befor the steeler game. came home with stumpies (about 3#), a 5#sheepehead and at leat 10# of sulphur shelf. the sulphur shelf was soooo fresh. thats the only way i'll pick it. short and stubbie when it first appears. when you cut it the moisture wants to jump out. had some of the chicken mushroom with a steak while watchin the game. rite now i'm pressure canning the stumpies and the sheephead. good pickin to all.

·
Registered
996 Posts
hmmm...went back out this afternoon...

I found 3 ramshead on a live red oak..
one was 6 inches by a foot (picked that one)
two were 2 inches by 3 inches (left them)

I also found one that was two foot by two foot and ten inches high.....all yellow and buggy.

I also found about two hundred papinkies that were way past prime....i guess that I missed papinkie season after all. That is unless the rain that comes this week brings more out. I guess that I thought that the papinkies wouldn't be out because it hasn't rained in my area. I will have another look on thurday to check on the small grifola and to see if the rain brings out more papinkies.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts