The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found any yet,with all the rain they should be popping up.I'll be going out this weekend for the first time.I'll let you know if i find any or not.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Picked 6 nice sized ones - found them just before they started getting woody about two weeks ago.

Should be great year for them.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
6 nice sized Sheephead around the beginning of Aug ? That has to be an early date record. At least for me it would be by a far stretch.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I when out today and hit my best spots, nothing at all we need more rain. The earliest i ever found any was Aug 9 i can't remember the year but it had too be a wet one.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I haven't even bothered looking because for one it's too early and two it's way too dry.

·
Registered
274 Posts
were they maitake? usually early i'll find the black staining polypore that looks like the maitake (hen of the woods - sheephead) but i don't care for them at all.

·
Registered
830 Posts
They were picked in the same area that my next door neighbor Frank found this one last year

Sorry - I tried to imbed the pic from Google Photos - no go - but the link will work.

I am no mushroom expert - but he always get early ones from the patch of stumps behind his house...

July 2015:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts