The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out yesterday in the morning and hit 8 spots and only found one small sheephead the the size of a softball under a white oak on the northeast side of the tree in a valley next to a small stream.Nothing much growing in the woods right now,we need some rain.I though with the rain we had 2 or 3 weeks back,that we would have some early sheepheads but i was wrong again.I'll be going back out in 3 days to check the small one i found to see if it grew any,sometimes they don't grow at all and other times they grow huge also found one buck rub.

·
Registered
16,505 Posts
Possible rain this weekend hopefully will come. Still a bit early and no need to panic....... yet.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mostly at large white oaks,the bigger the better,the wetter the better.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I walked through the couple of areas that I normally see them at and there has been no sign of sheepheads yet.

Ive been finding a lot of pink top, white underside with a white stem that are being pulled out of the ground by either deer or squirrels im guessing and having the caps eaten and the stems left to lay. Not too sure what they are but they must be good.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Shippinit,the pink top,white stem,white gilled are probably
russula.There are very many species of russula that look very much alike.Some are deadly poisonous just so you know.I have been out my self and have seen many russula they do well in these conditions.Most of the boletes and scaber stalks have burned off.There are some sulfer shelf and craterellus cornucopioides to be found as well.Have not found the grifola frondosa yet either but found a few fistulina hepatica two days ago.The fistulina hepatica aka,Beef Steak was very good fried in butter and olive oil with garlic salt and pepper.Very tasty it's choice in my eyes and only has one look alike that I know of but in my opinion is easy to id.Well good luck guys,nice to see some posts on this board. ;-)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Got my first ramshead of the year today, and located 5 other ones that I am letting grow. The one I picked today was the size of a large watermelon and I get the same one every year in the same spot!!. The ones I left I will give a few days to see how they are growing.

" Live For Today As Tomorrow Is Promised To No One "

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never heard it called the ramshead and i been picking mushrooms for quite a few years.I'll be going out Wed morning,should be a good day.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have been picking mushrooms since I was a little kid with my Dad and everyone in Schuylkill Co. always called them sheepshead or Ramsheads. Do u have any good recipes for making them than the usual butter and garlic or breaded I would appreciate them as my wife loves them . good luck on wednesday as these were the 1st ones I came upon this year

" Live For Today As Tomorrow Is promised To No One "

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Sheep head are also called Hen of the Woods. You can use Hen of The Woods in dishes that you normally would use for chicken. I like to boil them in canned chicken broth instead of water before using them in chicken dishes. Also chicken mushroom same thing. You can use these in chicken dishes too.

Birdman is correct about russula. Some, the red tops will get you sick real fast. So much so that the name for them is SICKNERS. I stay away from russula myself.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey Uncle
You probably wont believe me and I don't blame
you if you don't.I found a hand full of fresh
smooth chantrelles today.Could not believe it myself.
No Grifola Frondosa yet but a few Old man of the woods
as well.Good luck guys.

·
Registered
16,505 Posts
That fresh rain can pop a few straggling Chants. I haven't had the late August Meadows and Horse shrooms in my yard like I usually do, but I suspect with the moisture and cool temps, I'm only days away. On weekends, I'll run out to the yard, pick a handful, and throw them in with the scrambled eggs.

Sheephead are great breaded and fried.

P.S. are you the same Birdman that posts on Morels.com ?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I picked 2 sheepheads today. Both were as big as a basketball.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Bird Man said:
Hey Uncle
You probably wont believe me and I don't blame
you if you don't.I found a hand full of fresh
smooth chantrelles today.Could not believe it myself.
No Grifola Frondosa yet but a few Old man of the woods
as well.Good luck guys.
I am surpirised that your finding chanterelle yet?
Usually the trumpets are still around. The other type chanterelle around here window is only 3 weeks. Sure wish the goldens would last longer?

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I was out last night and found 2 small sheepheads and one that was dead and rotting. Also found a bunch of sulphur shelves that were completely bug infested. I think with the recent rains and the cool mornings things should be looking good towards the end of this weekend.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of one thay may have took prior to picking it? I don't generally eat mushrooms but I do like sheepshead. Is there any other poisonous mushroom that looks like a sheepshead?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hello Uncle Buck
The only thing that makes any sence about the late
chanty flush is the area was under water untill
recently.The dates in books can vary,found black
trumpets in one spot as early as july.Other spots
did not produce till aug.Found sulphur shelf on
a tree in july and now finding other trees with
it now in sept.I quess it is much like every thing
else there are many,many variables.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Bucket,
There are sheepshead in Warren County, I pick them every year behind the camp. They are just starting and it will be good this weekend.

Kinzua Man

1 - 20 of 51 Posts