The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got 7 so far this year here in cambria, anyone else finding any?

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I saw a huge one on the turnpike down by Lancaster Tuesday. I didn't think I could park and climb the fence fast enough before the cops got to me, so I had to pass it up. That's only the second one I've ever found, so I was a little mad!

·
Registered
741 Posts
I was out yesterday and didn't see any starting yet in NE Ohio. I did find some aborted entolomas. It is really early for them.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I found two today(monday)near Murrysville in westmoreland county,not much growing on the ground but the acorns are huge also found one buck rub.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
creektroll3 said:
I was out sunday looking, found a bunch of chicken of the woods but no sheeps.
What's the difference? I thought they were the same thing? Google images look the same???

Nevermind...i was thinking hen of the woods, not shelf mushrooms like chickens. Found my answer. But..how are chickens compared to sheepsheads?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Off Topic...this is the 1st yr i grew parsnips succesfully....im getting super amt of foilage (tops) ??do i clip them off so the growth goes into the roots

·
Registered
997 Posts
Both chickens and sheeps are really good mushrooms. In my opinion both can get tough when they get older. I usually just both mushrooms just before they reach full maturity that way they are tender all the way through.

On a plus note I did find about ten hen of the woods yesterday. The catch is that all are about the size of a cup. How many days before I should go back and look at them again?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
When taking pictures,always lay a dollar bill on it so we can have idea how large the sheephead or mushroom is.(6 1/8 x 2 5/8)

·
Registered
997 Posts
hey peep, is that a honey mushroom near that tree? Have you found any of those lately? I keep looking but I keep finding old ones.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The only one i see near the tree is a small sheephead,haven't seen any honey mushrooms at all.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Haven't found any sheeps yet this year. Few sulfurs so far. Had a real good year with sheeps last year...hoping to repeat...lol

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Found 3 sheepheads today,2 small ones which i didn't pick and one about the size of a football also one tick on my wrist.The tick just started to bore in so it wasn't to hard to pull out,now i have to call the doctor to get a prescription incase it had lyme disease.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok we're done for the year with total of 54. how did everyone else do?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Found six on Sunday. Biggest was 13 pounds. Left the two smallest ones for seed. Our arms were full carrying the other four out.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thought i was done, got a total of 57. turned my boss onto sheepheads his mother who is 86 knew exactly what it was and said she hasnt eaten them since she was a little girl. reports from my boss's house,,,,,THAT THING IS FANTASTIC!!!!! take me with you and show me how to find them. A future mushroom hunter I have found.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts