The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the size and the amount of shed folks are finding there are a lot of bucks out there left !
Do any of you shed finders keep notes of what and where you find them ? To me it would be like scouting where the bucks seem to live ?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I used to know where each antler was found. I have so many now that I have no clue. There are a few spots that i shed hunt where I actually hunt. For the most part I spend a whole day walking in areas I’ll never come back to until the following spring.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I hunt some very heavily pressured public ground and I don't find very many sheds per year but I put on a pile of miles walking and looking for sheds and scouting for the following years ! I have been out about 20 times since season was over and I put on about 10 -15 miles per day and I have only found 4 sheds so far. I have found a pile of new areas to check out for this season. Heck I found more tree stands than sheds ! I do however note down and remember where I've found each and every shed. Of course if I found the truck loads of sheds like beavsteve I probably wouldn't remember either...lol
Heck I had a piece of private ground that was 349 acres and I only found a couple sheds a year on that but its off limits now to anybody ! So far this year I've found all mine laying in there beds under thick pines !

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
You guys shed hunting finding lots of ticks this spring? My wife showed me a facebook post from a friend that took a short walk on a dirt trail in North Park, just north of PGH, has sprayed their jeans with OFF before the walk, and still had 8-12 ticks on their lower pant legs when the exited the trail.

I'll need to reapply my Sawyers before any turkey hunting scouts/treks this spring for sure.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I wear tall rubber boots with my jeans tucked in. I spray lightly with sawyers but still had 2 on my pants last weekend. The weekend before that I think I had 1. Nothing major yet around here.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was out with a group on my property this last weekend. Found one side to a 4pt, a matching set to a small 8 pointer, and half a side to another 8 point that was a nice 2.5 y/o this year that I saw in archery season and have lots of trail cam pics of. All the ones we find we follow a trail and normally they are laying right on it. They bed up on the side of the mountain where I hunt which we own as well but no way in ---- am I walking up there in thick mtn laurel and giant boulders to find sheds and disturb the deer that are bedding.

As far as ticks go, yes I had double digits on me and it was ridiculous!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I've been out quite a bit and I haven't really had any on me that I've seen !

·
Super Moderator
12,639 Posts
A good friend and his son who live in Iowa have found 70 sheds thus far this spring and some are very impressive...Me 0...

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I find only certain area ar loaded with ticks and som3 area hardly any ticks.

Sheds usually Home Depot has a spring sale I wait to then

1 - 9 of 9 Posts