The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any seasoned shed hunters out there willing to give up a few tips for finding antler sheds? I've never gone out before and have only stumbled across a few here and there during turkey season, but this year I'd like to give it a more serious effort. I was thinking checking the bedding areas I know of to start out. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Walk, walk, walk, walk, and then walk some more. Try to key in on the main food source for the area and then follow all of the trails leading to it back to the bedding areas. Also be prepared to come home empty handed quite a few times. But once you find a few it is very rewarding. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Always had my best results in thickets that get a lot of winter sunshine. Deer tend to spend a lot of time in these areas when antler shedding is most likely.
Have also found some in feeding areas and trails leading to bedding areas.
Learn to look for antler tips rather than the whole antler.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Another guy and I spent 2 hours last night after work walking on some property where I work. It's loaded with deer, but no luck. We walked heavily used trails. Found a couple skulls but no horns. Last Sunday while we had Ducks Unlimited cleaning out some duck boxes on the property a worker found a nice set (8 point). Real nice. I'll be getting out there more this week and weekend depending on the weather. We have a saying when we deer drive..Walk until you
. You can do that looking for sheds.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I saw a magazine article were they took a piece of fence and 3 post and made a triangle wide enough for the deer to get his head in and catch his loose antlers on the fence. They used feed and scents in the front to attract the deer in.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
take advantage of the snow that is about to come down and use it to locate main trails. Follow these trails after the snow melts and you could be able to find a few.

Also, like everyone else said, check bedding and feeding areas.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
bucksnort1 said:
I saw a magazine article were they took a piece of fence and 3 post and made a triangle wide enough for the deer to get his head in and catch his loose antlers on the fence. They used feed and scents in the front to attract the deer in.
That is illegal in Pa. Can't use any type of antler trap.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Walk. Take binoculars to save you alot of steps. Check fence lines, creeks, and thick stuff. Any place they either dip under or jump over anything. Check bedding to feed and back and forth

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
found a nice one today..could only find the one side..as far as tips...lot's and lot's o walking...and follow the deer trails..most trails in the bigwoods mt areas don't go very far..but i usually look right right up from the edge of a bench..a trail going through a saddle, and trails on very steep sides...i probably covered 7 miles today.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I like to start out looking on our SE facing slopes. The way our property is these slopes recieve the most winter sun and are out of the prevailing winds for the most part. I propably find 75% of my sheds on those sidehill trails between the ridgetop bedding and the bottom land fields. That's what seems to work for me.
And yes, binoculars can save you a ton of walking!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Took a 4 hour walk today. Found 1. It was a 3 point. Found it about 15 minutes into the walk. I thought this is going to be a good day. But that was it. A lot of walking, but a nice morning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts